Menu
How to be a real gentleman?
Sep 15, 2010 02:11
  • MARRYMAX
A Chinese article has listed 10 qualities of a real gentleman as follow:

1. Punctuality
If you are invited to join a party, better get there 5 to 10 minutes in advance.
2. Don’t smoke in public
If you really want to smoke, please go to the smoking room.
3. Use perfume in moderation
If you smoke, better not use perfume. The odor of cigarette and perfume is really disgusting.
4. Don’t show off your wealth in public
Famous brands are good but you needn’t show them off in public.
5. Choose your costume for each situation
Don’t wear T shirt and jeans to join an evening party. Just discard your white socks. Mature men prefer deep colors like black and dark brown.
6. Be polite
Be polite to everyone no matter what his/her profession is. Even he/she is just a waiter/waitress, he/she deserves your respect.
7. Treat everybody alike
8. Have good table manners
9. Don’t speak your dialect on formal occasions
10. Be calm at all times
If you see Jackie Chan at a party, don’t be over-excited.

Do you think a man who have these ten qualities is real gentleman? To be a gentleman, what qualities do you think she must have?

Sep 15, 2010 06:09
  • GAFFER
Those qualities are simply good manners. To be a gentleman in traditional British terms he would stand when guests enter a room (especially ladies). Formally Introduce his partner or accompanied guests to the host. Always allow ladies to precede him (which usually means opening doors etc). Always allow ladies to take a seat before him. Not to leave his partner unaccompanied (while chatting to friends). To always include his partner in conversations.

Sep 15, 2010 21:17
  • CHERRY07
Gaffer, do all English gentlemen wear hats and suits? In the movies, all gentlemen dress in this way.
Sep 16, 2010 03:34
GUESTJOE Why No.3 Use perfume in moderation ?? I don't like it.
And the No.5 Choose your costume for each situation, it is impossible for me to Change clothes every time when going out, troublesome, really.

I appreciate what Gaffer siad: they are all good manners. but I do canonize those who have good manners. I think, girls also, right? anyway, good manners are not simple to keep always.
Sep 16, 2010 05:51
  • LARRYBOY
Very well said Gaffer,, that is how I see it also.
Sep 19, 2010 06:20
  • GAFFER
Cherry I think you have been watching old movies. Suits are still popular for formal engagements, very formal would mean a dinner suit (tuxedo) and the ladies would wear a gown. The only time I have seen men wear (or carry) hats is at a very grand traditional wedding where the groom, his best man and ushers would wear a morning suit and top hat.

Last edited by GAFFER: Sep 19, 2010 06:23
Sep 19, 2010 21:19
  • CHERRY07
Thanks, Gaffer. Chinese grooms now wear suits too but they seldom wear top hats. I don't know when this started. Maybe, they all want to be gentlemen.

They guy in the picture holds a stick in his left hand. Is it also a symbol of gentleman? In China, only old men use walking sticks.
Sep 20, 2010 03:58
  • GAFFER
I have not seen anyone at a wedding with a walking stick that didn't need it. (I used to be a wedding photographer), and I think it would be a hindrance to the groom. He needs his hands to put the wedding ring on his bride's finger. That was an advertising shot from a supplier of wedding attire, so perhaps just an accessory. However, in times gone past a gentleman may well have had a sword sick. (A sword inside the walking stick) to protect his brides honour or from kidnap. Traditionally the groom stands to the right of his bride so that he could draw and use his sword more easily. Presuming he was right handed

Last edited by GAFFER: Sep 20, 2010 04:00
Sep 20, 2010 21:45
  • CHERRY07
Gaffer, I am so surprised that you are a wedding photographer. Did you shoot the "bride and groom" picture? So far, I have found that there are two photographers in TCG Community. One is Davec (a landscape photographer) and the other is you (a wedding photograher). Great!

"However, in times gone past a gentleman may well have had a sword sick. (A sword inside the walking stick) to protect his brides honour or from kidnap."

Very interesting! The groom must be a good swordman.
Sep 26, 2010 02:12
Gaffer, it is nice to hear that you are a wedding photographer. Can you share us your experience of being a wedding photographer? Maybe someone here will invite you to take wedding photos.
Sep 27, 2010 08:02
  • GAFFER
I was a wedding photographer in the UK several years ago but other business interests forced me to choose one or the other. Wedding photography lost. However, from the Chinese wedding photographs I have seen, it seems more work is done in Photoshop than in the camera.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to be a real gentleman?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code