Menu
Empty-nest crisis in China
Jun 9, 2013 03:10
  • CHERRY07
That's two different kinds of life styles. Western grandparents know how to enjoy their lives. Chinese grandparents are always busy. When they were someone's parents, they took care of their children. When they become someone's grandparents, they take care of their grandchildren. In fact, they are not forced to do this. They just do their best to spare their children's burden.
Jun 11, 2013 08:52
  • NOBODY
I don't think i actually agree with a part of your statement. As far as i know, when Chinese people are parents, they go to work and the grandparents take care of the kids (or their grandchild) Which in turn, when the parents are grandparents, they will take care of their grandchild.
Of course nobody holds a gun at their head and say "you have to take care of them" But the society dictates that they should take care of them.
Jun 15, 2013 04:08
  • CHERRY07
Nobody,

It's not their responsibility to take care of their grandchildren. They can choose to enjoy their lives instead of taking care of their grandchildren. As I said, they just share their children's burden. They don't want their children to live so hard.
Aug 3, 2013 04:36
  • NOBODY
Well, let's agree that we disagree. What do you think when you hear that someone's grandparents don't want to take care of the child? When they say: "Well, I prefer to enjoy my life and not to take care of my son's child" what do you think? As I said, nobody points a gun at their face, but it's the pressure of society.
Aug 4, 2013 21:01
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

If all Chinese grandparents choose to take care of their grandchildren, then those who don't will be looked down for some reason. The key is that many Chinese grandchildren voluntarily take this job.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Empty-nest crisis in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code