Menu
Best place for extended stay in China?
Oct 11, 2010 19:05
  • TUNNEY
Hi, I am currently working full-time and studying for a degree in Environmental Science. I would love to visit China for an extended period and intend to save so I don't need to work for 6 months - 1 year. I really want to stop in a coastal area in the south of China (nice beaches etc) and am looking for somewhere with the lowest cost of living possible as I don’t intend to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Examples of rental costs, food costs etc would also be great.

What I am looking for is a relaxed lifestyle where I can study, enjoy the culture and not worry too much about money.

p.s I also have an English degree and tefl qualification, so I may consider teaching part time if money does get tight, not sure if that would influence a decision on destination or not.

thanks

James
Oct 11, 2010 23:50
GUEST36203 a good place is tsingtoa its coastal resort where they staged the sailing in the olmpic games its an ex german colony some nice walks streets beachs plus lots of english schools if you get stuck good nite life as well
Oct 12, 2010 02:58
  • ARIESBUNNY

Xiamen would be a nice choice if you prefer to stay in south of China. But I dont really know about the expenses there.

If you donot mind north of China, why not try Dalian or Qingdao? I am originally from Dalian. Now I am living in Qingdao. Personally speaking, I love Qingdao more, because of the far better beach, and more nicer restaurants.
Oct 12, 2010 10:20
GUESTIDA xiamen is good choice i think. there is a quite peaceful small island especailly in the night. Also Xiamen university is good for you to study there.Its around 80rmb/night on the island. It would be less if you live in long time.Also the seafood and some south traditional food is very nice there.
Oct 12, 2010 18:46
  • TUNNEY
Great, thanks for the info. Am I right in thinking that Tsingtao is the same place as Qingdao?
Oct 12, 2010 18:50
  • TUNNEY
Ill def look into Xiamen and try and find out about expenses. The climate was the main reason I was interested in the south but as I intend to arrive in June I imagine the weather even in the north must be quite good then, so I will def consider as well.

thanks
Oct 13, 2010 06:55
  • ARIESBUNNY
Quote:

Originally Posted by TUNNEY

Great, thanks for the info. Am I right in thinking that Tsingtao is the same place as Qingdao?

Yes, Tsingtao is Qingdao.

If you will arrive in June, north should be better than south. It will almost be summmer time.
Oct 17, 2010 01:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Try Hainan,
Only place with nice beaches and cheaper that most of the other places
Xiamen is good if you like cities small and laid back but beaches not so nice
Oct 17, 2010 18:25
  • TUNNEY
Thanks for the reply, Hainan does look great. Could you let me know what the general cost of living there would be, for rent (im not looking for anything that great just a comfortable 1 bed aprtment) or food etc.
Oct 18, 2010 07:40
Hainan island is famous for its white sand beaches. It enjoys a tropical weather and the best tourist season is from October to March. You may check places like 'Sanya Blue Sky International Youth Hostel'. This accommodation has starting price of around US $7 per night per person and is at a walking distance from the beautiful Dadonghai beach.
Oct 19, 2010 07:25
  • JABAROOTOO
As mentioned there is the Hostel for short term stay. google accommodation in Sanya etc and you'll find a few sites in English offering apartments.

Keep in mind that these are usually aimed at tourists.
food is cheap unless you want to eat western style all the time but Sanya has some nice western style restaurants where you can eat well for less.

If you think you like the place then book yourself into the blue sky hostel for a week and go take a look around. Better to find a place to rent once you're on the ground. And there are agencies willing to help you.

keep in mind you may have to pay 3-6 months rent in advance or a deposit in kind. But you should find something in Sanya for Y1000 or less if you want nothing fancy.

All the best
Post a Reply to: Best place for extended stay in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code