Menu
Great Wall - Which One?
Mar 21, 2005 12:54
  • CHINAED
I appreciate any suggestions/input you might be able to provide.

Friend and I will be visiting Beijing in late April and we definitely want to see the Great Wall. However, I confused as I seen references to Badaling, Mitanyu, and Beidaihe.

Would it be redundant to seem more than one? Which do you recommend? Suggest any other visits/places near each that can be seen during the same trip.

Any other must-sees??

My friend is 70 years old and in good shape. Thank you for any insight you might be able to provide.
Mar 21, 2005 14:58
  • BRANDY

Some people will suggest Badaling coz it is the most famous part of the Great Wall, but I prefer the section of Mutianyu. Though it is not so famous as Badaling, it is also well preserved and provides magnificent view. I think Badaling is too crowded to go during the travel peak season!However, whichever you choose you may visit the Sacred Way and the Ming Tombs during the same trip.
Mar 21, 2005 19:11
  • ELCABRON
If your friend is still in shape for hiking and steps dont bother him at all I would recommend Simatai. But you have to be very careful and take it easy.
Its the place to be for the true ancient Great Wall without masstourism and tourist traps. The wall goes up on the thin mountain ridge looking like a dragons back. It`s in the original state without the newest renovations like in Badaling, which is more like a Disney Land. In Simatai the wall is broken, steps are missing and trees grow on the Towers. Some parts are so steep you need to go on your feet and hands! Be aware, there are no banisters stopping you from falling down the cliffs. Here you can enjoy the silence of this magnificent world heritage on your own. Ive been there with a friend on our own for a whole day - not one single soul came passing by. It was great!

Mar 21, 2005 19:18
  • ELCABRON
Oh, I forgot:
Commerce and mass tourism was already at the gates! They were building a cable car to the peak - which is good for people who cant walk up the steep mountain.
But I hope they will leave it in the original state - no more Disney Lands, please.....

Mar 22, 2005 09:57
  • EXLIFE
I will recommend the Mutianyu Great Wall to you. This section of the Wall is the well-preserved section of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) that boasts the beautiful sceneries during different seasons. In additions it is much safer to climb than that of the Simatai. In April, trees around the Wall will add to the attractions of the Wall. It is the quintessence of the Great Wall sections.
Post a Reply to: Great Wall - Which One?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code