Menu
hostels in beijing
Mar 22, 2005 00:42
  • TIA
can anybody tell me of a nice clean hostel close to all the sight in beijing,also should i take the overnight train to xiaan or fly ,if i book soft sleeper will this be comfortable.after tibet and chengdu where do you think i shold head next .....thanx tia
Mar 22, 2005 02:38
  • ELCABRON
Hi TIA!

I would recommend to you the BEIJING FAR EAST YH.
TIESHUXIEJIE No. 90.
Phone: 630188113118 or 3119
They charged 45 Kuai in a 3-bed-room. They offer a complete kitchen, washing machine, drier and western style showers and toilets. Everything is just clean and fine! But the best thing is the location. Outside there is a market street full of streetkitchens, restaurants, supermarkets...only 5 minutes walk from TianAnMen and the ForbiddenCity!

On our difficult way to find a nice place we passed:
1. BEIJING YH, JianGuoMenNeiDaJie No.9 close to Beijing Railwaystation which was said to be brand new...in fact they were still building it in 2003
2. SAGA YH in some bad alleys 700m behind the Beijing YH, with 60 Kuai in a shabby 4-bed-room too expensive for the run down state.
3. ORIENTAL YH, Dondang-third-lane at Donfang Plaza No.8 - good location close to the TianAnMen and fair prices....but booked out! Ah, keep on walking;-)
4. Another place in the middle of nowhere: DIAO YUAN HOSTEL, somewhere next to the channel on YouAnMenDongBinheLu No.135...which is closer to the Temple of Heaven. But skip it, like I said its in the middle of nowhere, we only stayed here for one night.
BUT they have the best guy for organizing trips to the Great Wall!
It is Mr. John:
TieShuXieJie No. 66, XuanWu District. Phone: 83151553, 13901123938, 138012211089 or 13611326769.
Email hotmail.com|jian_min
His place is called ManGuoXiangHuoGuoDian.
A great trip to Simatai for two persons (60 kuai each) for a driver (Mr. John himself) in a jeep. to Simatai it is a 3h drive each way.

If you want to go to the city of Xian from Beijing take a Hard Seat to Datong, its worth a two day stop. (6h 46 Kuai) From There a Hard sleeper to Xian is just fine and costs 130 Kuai.
Hard Seat or sleeper is not as bad as the name sugests, but much much cheaper.

Where do you start from?
Actually Beijing, Shanghai or HK are the entry ports. Tibet should be in the middle of you trip.
Mar 25, 2006 10:23
  • PRICES
Downtown Backpackers is superb. I booked this hostel using www.hostelworld.com and it was awesome. It's within walking distance of all the sites downtown, they have free breakfast, it's clean, the people that work there are awesome. It's in a refurbished hutong and it's in a really super cute area with lots of cafes and restaurants. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Haohai lake area, which is pretty cool. When I was staying there I had some friends staying at two other hostels in Beijing and they all cancelled their reservations to go to this one.
Mar 25, 2006 23:32
  • ELLYSE
I recommend the Peking Downtown Backpackers Accommodation (http://www.greatwalladventure.com/hostel.htm) as well! It's a great place to be. You need to adjust your way of thinking though. Beijing is really big, there's no way any hostel is going to be "close to all the sight in Beijing". Have you looked on a map before?
You'll be fine on the soft sleeper to Xi'an. Get the Z train as that's the best (for no more than the other trains).
Mar 26, 2006 07:45
  • CALIFORNIA
Is it too late to answer??
Mar 27, 2006 07:18
  • LEMONCACTUS
I can also recommend Peking Downtown Backpackers, I've written about it under Beijing travel tips.

My last stay there was in: Jin An Bing Guan (Zen hostel), 8 Men Lou Xiang, Jiao Zi Hutong, Cai Shi Kou. I booked via the web, here's a link: www.zenhostelry.com/

It's a little difficult to find but worth it, hidden in a tiny Hutong, close to loads of nice restaurants. Clean, quiet, friendly.

I stayed in winter and was the only foreigner, every night when I came in someone would come and bring me a fresh flask of boiling water, a lovely touch :)

Try this TCG link too:
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/d_tip.asp?d=28&i=4

Enjoy your trip !!
Post a Reply to: hostels in beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code