Menu
A tip for asking directions
Oct 31, 2010 03:48
Once, my friend and I got lost on a street in Xi’an on our way to the Sai Ge Computer Store. So we came to a newsstand to ask the way. The boss just asked “Do you want to buy a newspaper?” (He thought we were going to buy a piece of newspaper). We said “No. we are lost. Could you show us the way to the Sai Ge Computer Store?” The boss was disappointed and said “Sorry, I don’t know.”

Then we kept walking for around 5 minutes and asked the way at a fruit shop. The boss also said “Sorry, I can’t help you.” My friend didn’t believe what they said but couldn’t figure out what was wrong. He said “we asked two guys but they all didn’t know where the computer store was. Strange!”

Suddenly, I realized what was wrong. “I know why they didn’t show us they way. The owners of the newsstand and the fruit shop thought we’d buy a newspaper or some fruit from them. But we didn’t. They were disappointed and refused to show the way to the computer store. Do you see the newsstand in front of us? Let’s try again”, said I.

We got to the newsstand and just said: “Hey, do you sell China Daily (a newspaper)? ” The boss said “Yes” and gave it to me. I paid for the newspaper and then asked “Hey boss, we get lost here. Could you tell us how to get to Sai Ge Computer Store?” The boss said “No problem.” and then told us the way.

Did you get into trouble when you were asking for directions like me? If you did, just try what I did next time.

PS: I have heard that there are some people who offer help for those who ask for directions. However, you need to pay for their service. The service costs 5 to 20 yuan.

Will you use such a service?
Last edited by TRAVELINGINCHINA: Oct 31, 2010 03:49
Oct 31, 2010 21:32
  • CHARLOTT
My tip: Just find some old men or cleaners on the street to ask the way, they are usually kind and willing to help you out.

I usually use GPS on my cellphone to direct me. If it doesn't work, I have no choice but ask for help from others.
Post a Reply to: A tip for asking directions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code