Menu
Rising housing prices changes traditional Chinese’s preference for sons
Nov 2, 2010 03:03
  • ONMYWAY
“If you can only have one baby, do you wish to conceive a boy or a girl?” I asked my cousin. He said: “Of course a girl. It is difficult to raise a boy till he grows up. You have to buy him a flat before he gets married. But I can’t buy him a flat due to the high housing price. If I have a girl, I needn’t worry about this.” As he wished, his wife gave birth to a baby girl.

You see, the rising housing prices have changed many Chinese’s preference for sons. My cousin is just one of these guys.

In the past, people preferred to have a son than a daughter. They can carry the family name and support their parents. Because of the “one child” policy and the traditional preference for sons, millions of girls failed to come into the world. And this causes serious gender imbalance. “There will be 20 million bachelors until 2020”, according to a report.
Last edited by ONMYWAY: Nov 2, 2010 03:03
Nov 3, 2010 02:48
  • JIMMYB
In the rural areas, people still prefer to have sons instead of girls. If a woman gives birth to a girl, her parents-in-law would be probably disappointed. My grandfather is such a guy who believes boys are better than girls. When my brother's wife gave birth to a baby, he just said: "Girls are useless."

You know my brother was unhappy. He just said:"It is my child and I love my baby girl very much."
Dec 31, 2010 02:01
GUEST31110 Kudos to your Bro Jimmy. The most important thing is that the baby is healthy
Jan 5, 2011 20:54
GUEST05624 Here is another reason to want a girl:
In most cases, when parents grow older, daughters tend to take care of them more than sons. They also settle down closer to their parents. It's true in China and all over the world.
Post a Reply to: Rising housing prices changes traditional Chinese’s preference for sons
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code