Menu
What should I do
Nov 30, 2010 00:40
  • ELAIN
I'm really confused now . I'm doing my internership about the international trade in a small company .My every day work is dealing with various kinds of emails from different countries . I'm the only one here who is doing the international trade , no one can help , my boss just started to do the international trade for a little while , but have no experience . I have worked for two month, but haven't gotten any orders . We have sent several samples ,but still waiting for the reply .I think the international trade needs a lot of patience and courage . I don't know whether I should keep doing this .On one hand , I hate to hunt for a job before my graduation , on the other hand , I feel that there's nothing I can learn here .I know people may think it's a good chance to study every thing by yourself . I used to think that way , but now ,I don't think so . Sometimes I'm quite busy , sometimes I'm very free. I do prefer to be busy . I don't know what I should do if I quit here , I may probably spend time at home until graduation . So I'm afraid to quit .
I wish someone could give me some advices about doing international trade and I will appreciate a lot .
Nov 30, 2010 13:41
  • CARLOS
A salesman don't wait for the reply, he contacts quite soon after sending samples to discuss about them, to ask the customer what he perhaps would want more or less for the product and, what more important, the salesman asks the customer as much as possible questions where the customer answers "yes".

e-mails... the first sale comes by the phone, after that by e-mail. However if you forget to call your buying customer every now and then he will forget you when some other aggressive salesman contacts him.

Aggression is the only way to sell something, just do it!

Carlos
Nov 30, 2010 20:38
  • ELAIN
Thank you very much for your advice .Are you doing the international trade ?
Dec 1, 2010 02:34
  • CHARLOTT
Carlos, you will be a good salesman if you decide to take it as your profession. My advice: Avoid being passive and be active. Remember there is no pie dropping from the sky.
Dec 1, 2010 06:29
  • ELAIN
I'm looking forward to more advice .
Dec 1, 2010 08:22
  • CARLOS
I am not a salesman, well I don't need to be because I know about all my clients face to face and we call each other by first name. My business have started by knowing people so I never had to exactly sell myself to anyone.

However years back I sold security systems door to door and what I learnt was that it is very important to talk the client to say himself he might need your product. Then it is time to let him think what product you are selling ha might need if he bought something from you. When he specifies something then only sell it to him. I have noticed the salesmen that comes to sell me something use about same tactic.
But that's face to face business.

I buy glassfiber and insulation plates from outboard. When I started I did contact all glassfiber companies I found in Europe. Only few of them contacted me back and only one really wanted to sell me. Others only waited if I perhaps buy. I still buy glassfibers from the same company.

Don't quit, Elan, keep on going. It really doesn't matter if you don't have orders, just analyze what went right and what went wrong and learn.

Carlos
Dec 1, 2010 18:00
  • MARRIE
Face to face talk, provide more attractive sales conditions before u know where u are among your competitiors. The unspeakable sense of integrety and reliability u given gives bonus. Face to face talk is the first step.
Dec 2, 2010 10:55
  • GAFFER
Face to face communication is difficult for International trade as usually you are not in the same country. I receive many emails from Chinese companies who I guess are finding my details from Alibaba.com. I would also use this web site to find suppliers of products I need and to make initial contact. Does your company have a presence on their site?

http://importer.alibaba.com/?ta-temp=ta_bottom&ta-info=bottom_for_seller
Last edited by GAFFER: Dec 2, 2010 10:55
Dec 2, 2010 10:57
  • GAFFER
This site http://www.globalmarket.com/ may also be of assistance
Dec 2, 2010 21:10
  • ELAIN
Thank you very much . I'm not gonna give up. Tougher thing makes tougherperson ,right ?
Nothing is easy . Now I'm starting from scratch . Good luck !
Dec 3, 2010 03:15
  • GAFFER
My understanding of Internship is when someone works for a company, usually with no salary, to learn a skill or profession. The company provides a mentor (someone with experience) who can teach the intern. If your boss has no experience in International trade, how are you supposed to learn in this situation? Are you sure this internship is not cheap (free?) labour for your language skills?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What should I do
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code