Menu
Is it ok to go to Sanya during Chinese New Year Holiday?
Dec 19, 2010 00:57
guestMarkus I am a German who has been in China for more than 7 months. My wife will arrive here on Dec. 21. She will stay with me until Jan. 5. We have decided to visit {Sanya,https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/hainan/sanya/} during Chinese New Year Holiday (Jan.1-3) and our flights have been reserved. But we haven’t booked our hotels. Can someone give us some suggestions on accommodation?
Dec 19, 2010 01:13
  • CHERRY07
MARKUS,

How much be your budget? Have a look at [tcgurl=http://www.travelchinaguide.com/hotel/sanya-hotels.htm]Sanya Hotel[/tcgurl] to see if there is one you prefer.

Dec 19, 2010 11:58
  • SASHA
Hi Markus, I have beach-apartment in Sanya so maybe I can give you some local information... OK this will be long one:

It depends in which area you would like to stay, and also how much you're ready to pay.

Frankly speaking, New Year is not very good time to visit Sanya because it gets really too crowded, and hotels are full (even with triple fares than usual).

(you can also check Wikipedia and Wikitravel for Sanya info)

Basically, there are 2 major tourist areas in Sanya:

1) DADONGHAI: it's bay with long sandy beach & palm trees, surrounded by several hotels and many tourist-oriented residental buildings. It's 5-10min from downtown by taxi and it's more like small tourist city with all things needed (restaurants, supermarkets, shops, street BBQ). Main part of DaDongHai is it's long beach with many restaurants with live music and BBQ, it's quite nice in the evening having dinner by the music and sound of waves... There I would recommend 'InTime' 5-star resort it's right on the beach and price is only 400-500rmb (off-peak dates).

2) YALONG BAY: this is place where all major international 5-star hotels are located, this bay & beach is bigger than DaDongHai. It's completely separated from rest of the city (20-30min from downtown by taxi), and besides all those 5-star resorts - there's nothing much there, it's not a town, no shops, no supermarkets, just one artificial square with overpriced fruits & food, and shopping/dinning arcade in Crown Plaza Hotel (that's the only place for evening walk if going for dinner or shopping). Hotels are 1500-3000rmb (OFF-peak dates) which is normal considering all those Sheraton/Hilton/Marriott etc...

So it depends which type of vacation you need, if you like more intimacy then Yalong Bay is better and much more expensive, but if you need more fun and Thai-style vacation then DaDongHai is better and far more cheaper.

Since good hotels are mostly full for New Year, you can use some time and check availability one by one on travel agent websites like TravelChinaGuide, Ctrip or Elong, if you find something interesting and would like to know more, just PM me and I will try to give more information if I can...

Cheers,
Alex - Sasha
Last edited by SASHA: Dec 19, 2010 12:03
Dec 19, 2010 20:53
GUESTMARKUS Thank you, Cherry and Sasha. I will talk it over and we may rearrange our trip.

PS: Sasha, I think Dadonghai is much more interesting to me. We may consider of visiting it instead of Yalongwan.
Dec 27, 2010 07:37
  • SNELL213
hello, goo day to you how is your work and your family. i come across your id on this site that is why i contact you. i will like to come to your country china for the spring festival in next year. please how can you help me for my visa to your country.am looking forward to hear from you.
yours James
Dec 27, 2010 20:03
GUESTMARKUS
Quote:

Originally Posted by SNELL213

hello, goo day to you how is your work and your family. i come across your id on this site that is why i contact you. i will like to come to your country china for the spring festival in next year. please how can you help me for my visa to your country.am looking forward to hear from you.
yours James

Do you want to spend Spring Festival i Germany? I am sorry that I do not know much about visa issue. Where are you from? I think you should contact the German embassy to your country. So sorry.
Feb 3, 2011 07:51
GUEST57242 Sanya is an ideal place for anyone to spend winter at. There is nothing wrong with all the hotels and its hardware. There are all of international standard. The main problem with Sanya is its local government. Its police is known for using force excessively and beat up people they perceive undesirabl. Just yesterday Feb. 2, 2011), police beat up a group of mainland tourists for protesting the local government controlled and connetcted resort (Mei Li Xin Hai An) which intermittently black out many times interrupting peoples' most important new year's family dinner. Sanya county government does not solve the problem; on the contrary the officials (among them some vice mayors) were suspected for ordering police to beat up tourists. It is really barbaric. Foreigners should demand Sanya municipal government for an explanation, before they set their feet on Sanya. (They customerily lie, of course)
Post a Reply to: Is it ok to go to Sanya during Chinese New Year Holiday?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code