Menu
Who can be blamed for the extreme weather and global climate change?
Jan 12, 2011 19:33
  • SCOFIELD07
In the past two weeks, severe snow and icy rain freeze many places in south China like Guizhou, Hunan, Guangxi… The harsh weather clogged highways in those places and stood many vehicles and passengers. Road traffic became very dangerous. Temperatures there stayed below freezing, 3 to 5 °C lower than the average for this time of year. That reminds me of many other extreme weather events that frequently happened around the world in recent years. Why extreme weather becomes so often and ordinary? Who can be blamed for the tragedy? Global climate change? Human-caused climate change?

Why 135 daily rainfall records were broken along the East Coast during September 2010’s deluges (Wilmington, N.C.)? Why 2010 eclipsed 1998 as the hottest year on record? Why in August 2010 an ice island four times the size of Manhattan broke off from a Greenland glacier? Why Gansu of China suffered the severest landslide in August 2010? Why 2000–2009 was the warmest decade on record that 153 of the 1,218 U.S. weather stations recorded their hottest summer since 1895? Why Moscow suffered a once-in-centuries heat wave this summer? Why one fifth of Pakistan flooded? Why London undergoes the coldest winter now?

So many whys! Is human really the one to be blamed? Where and how we go? The question devolves into the swirl of a black hole in my mind. Come on, guys! Share your ideas here.

huge crack on Greenland glacier

Last edited by SCOFIELD07: Jan 12, 2011 19:35
Jan 12, 2011 19:39
  • SCOFIELD07
heat wave caused devastating fire in Russia in the summer of 2010

Jan 12, 2011 19:40
  • SCOFIELD07
severe landslide in China's Gansu province in 2010

Jan 12, 2011 19:44
  • SCOFIELD07
severe flooding in Pakistan, 2010

Jan 12, 2011 20:40
  • CHERRY07
The extreme weather will be more serious. Take my city for example, it was sunny and warm in November even it is winter time. Now, it is very dry and cold. The temperature is below 0 degree and there is no sign of snowing.

This winter, it snowed twice but they were all artificial.
Jan 13, 2011 00:05
  • DODGER
Why did the Vikings name ‘Greenland’ Greenland?
Because when they discovered the place it was green.
Things change.
Dodger.
Jan 15, 2011 09:04
  • CARLOS
Just to the point, Dodger, although I blame my nasty neighbour for too cold and snowy winter.

Ok, they are horrible, but there have been through the history all kinds of heath waves, earth quakes, heavy rains...

Carlos
Jan 16, 2011 02:19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

Why did the Vikings name ‘Greenland’ Greenland?
Because when they discovered the place it was green.
Things change.
Dodger.

I guess he came to the island in summer, right? If he came there in winter, maybe we call it snowland or whiteland, hehe.
Jan 16, 2011 03:22
  • DODGER
Lonelyjoe, my point was that climate change has always been with us. That doesn’t excuse us from polluting our environment, which is a different matter altogether.
Some groups however seem bent of joining the two together.
Dodger.
Jan 16, 2011 21:50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

Lonelyjoe, my point was that climate change has always been with us. That doesn’t excuse us from polluting our environment, which is a different matter altogether.
Some groups however seem bent of joining the two together.
Dodger.

I see your point, Dodger. The news reported that Australia and Brazil had been attacked by floods. And I also read that a US Report predicted that the extreme weather will happen more frequently in the near future. Don't know if it is true. But we will pay for what we have done to the earth one day.
Feb 14, 2011 21:42
  • SCOFIELD07
Of course pollution harms the environment and has relations with the climate change. Either the greenland, whiteland or redland...will be darkland if things continue i think:(
Post a Reply to: Who can be blamed for the extreme weather and global climate change?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code