Menu
jobs for the unskilled?
Jan 20, 2011 19:18
guest34150 I'm an American who's an unskilled worker, and as such it's hard for me to find work in the U.S. I've been wanting to go to China (i'm already starting to try to learn Chinese, getting books and CDs and such), and I was wondering how easy it is for unskilled foreigners to find work in China. As a factory worker or some other kind of manual laborer or something.

I hear that it's fairly easy to find work as an English teacher, and that is the stereotypical job for the Westerner coming to China, but I have no experience in teaching and I haven't had much of a real education of my own (didn't finish high school, and no college). So I don't know if I would be able to get that kind of work.

Thanks in advance.
Jan 22, 2011 04:58
  • GAFFER
There are millions of unskilled workers in China many unemployed. China only needs, and gives permission to people who have "special" or "expert" skills which cannot be found among the Chinese workforce. English or language teachers are required to be native to that language so they are one of the few professions accepted. Regulations for teachers are now getting tighter. For a legal, reasonably paid job you would need a Degree, TEFL qualification, 2 years teaching experience and be under 60 years of age (sometimes younger).
Mar 8, 2011 04:15
hi,

i can´t completely confirm that.
Im 24 years old, from Germany And i have got a residence permit for one year, as well as an alien employment permit.

You dont really need a degree to teach. I would even say in MOST cases it´s enough to be a native speaker.

regards

Pat
Apr 7, 2011 14:30
GUEST13358 Ever considered "white people for rent"? Just google it.
I am serious. Companies in smaller Chinese cities hire white people to appear as "foreign business partner"; this makes the companies look "legitimate" and appear to have "international presence and backing."
Ever considered working as a tour-guide? Language partner? (just advertise yourself online).
Apr 28, 2011 01:14
GUEST29173 there are many tesol and tefl courses in china.you can start first and then take the course in summer vacation.

if you have any interests in teaching in china, maybe gmail.com|gmcsunny can be of any help.

good luck.
May 8, 2011 08:59
  • NIKYZHU
I think it's not very hard for getting a job in USA if u wanna .
Work hard , dont be lazy!
No money can earn without sweat. The same in China!
May 3, 2012 20:45
GUESTASIM hi my name is asim raza i,m from pakistan. i,m looking for a job i can speak read english and greek if there is any job please inform me. my email is gmail.com|fzasim
May 3, 2012 20:47
GUEST11850 hi every one i,mlooking for job and need help to find
May 9, 2012 00:17
  • AIMEELIU1
Nothing is impossible. Smaller cities could be a better choice for you in this case.
Last edited by AIMEELIU1: May 9, 2012 00:19
Mar 8, 2013 17:54
GUEST98338 Hy there i m a romanian livin in spain i m interested in working abroad-why not as a teacher . I HAVE GOOD LANGUAGE SKILLS-GOOD ENGLISH AND SPANISH, MEDIUM ITALIAN AND FRENCH. But i also ddidn t finish a highschool/college . Do i ahve any chance of getting a teaching job ?CAN U GIVE SOME TIPS PLEASE : yahoo.com|narsyo . Ty -Have a NICE DAY . Bye
Mar 30, 2013 04:39
GUESTBOMBY Hi,
It's REALLY hard to find a job as a teacher if you have no experience in this domain or certificate or degree.
You should try to get a certificate that proves your skills in all the language you can use.
You also can give one-to-one lessons to persons you know, it's considered as an experience in teaching.
Finally, you can try to find a job as translator/interpret for small companies around your city (maybe you can do it for free sometimes, so you train yourself and the companies are more enthusiast to hire you).
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: jobs for the unskilled?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code