Menu
Li Na in A.O. Tennis final!
Jun 28, 2011 02:40
  • XIAOXIAO
Jimmyb, Peng Shuai was out too. She lost to Sharapova.
Jul 5, 2011 18:11
  • CANADAGUY
It's too bad the way things turned out for Li Na at Wimbledon this year.
If there is good news though, it's that the woman who beat her, Lisicki, went on to the semi-final before losing to Sharapova.

This can make Li Na feel just a little better, knowing that her opponent was a very good quality player who almost made it to the final.

Lisicki is a young talent who will rise up the rankings very soon.

Hopefully Li Na can win another major before she decides to retire from singles.

It's fascinating that two women in the twilight of their careers (Li and Schiavone) can start to win majors at 29, 30 years of age.

Last edited by CANADAGUY: Jul 5, 2011 18:14
Jul 5, 2011 20:51
  • KEVIN0518
I don't know why Li Na was out at Wimbledon so early. But the match is unpredicable. I didn't think Roger could lose to Tsonga but it happened.
Jul 6, 2011 13:16
  • CANADAGUY
Li Na was out early because Lisicki is a very talented young player!
Li Na was unlucky to have to face her so early at the tournament.

Lisicki will be a strong force on the tour in the coming years if she stays healthy.

Roger never should have lost to Tsonga. When he was up 2-0 in sets, he relaxed, and this let Tsonga back into the match. Roger has been blowing leads now in matches too often. It's a bad sign.
Jul 6, 2011 21:04
  • KEVIN0518
Canadaguy,

Frankly, I do not know much about Lisicki. I wish that she wouldn't be like Ana Ivanovic who almost "disappears" after winning the French Open Title.

Maybe, Roger has changed. In the past, Roger played for winning more and more champions. Now he plays for fun.
Jul 7, 2011 00:09
  • CANADAGUY
Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVIN0518

Canadaguy,

Frankly, I do not know much about Lisicki. I wish that she wouldn't be like Ana Ivanovic who almost "disappears" after winning the French Open Title.

Maybe, Roger has changed. In the past, Roger played for winning more and more champions. Now he plays for fun.

I don't know a lot about Lisicki either, but I did see her play a match at Wimbledon and she has all the shots covered. She hits the ball very hard and has good court coverage.
She appears to be mentally tough too, which is very important.

Roger definitely has changed.
A lot has to do with general aging, but perhaps having a family has also affected his game.

I wouldn't characterize it the way you did though.
He still plays for the championships (slams), just as before, but now he is able to have more fun than before because
he has achieved everything he set out to do.

Even if he wins no more slams his career is one of the greatest of all tennis players.

If he doesn't win another slam in the next year and a half (by the end of 2012) I predict he will retire from the game.

Jul 10, 2011 01:14
  • KEVIN0518
Undoubtedly, Roger is one of the greatest of all tennis players in history. He has won 16 grand slams. Maybe, he needs some time to adjust himself. Sampras won his last grand slam two years after he won the last but two. Federer hasn't gain a grand slam for 17 months. He still can try at the US Open.

He might retire if he can not win another slam in the next year and a half as you said.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Li Na in A.O. Tennis final!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code