Menu
Buying Beijing - Shanghai train ticket
Jan 31, 2011 11:28
guestAlexDewar Hi,

I would like to get the overnight D train from Shanghai to Beijing, soft sleeper, on 15 March. I am just wondering how to buy the ticket. I gather that tickets are released 10 days in advance.

Here are my 3 options:

1: Use chinatripadvisor.com. They seem to charge exactly double the standard fare for the convenience. The advantage is that you just fill in the form, and they do all the work.

2: Get my hotel to do it. On their webpage they say they do it. I don't know if they charge for this. My only slight concern is that I arrive in Shanghai 3 days before. Some sites say there is no problems about tickets selling out, could anyone confirm this?

3: Go to the train station. Obviously the most official and risk free option. Only concern is I can't speak Chinese. I could get all the details written down on paper which should work. Does Shanghai have machines?

Any advice would be much appreciated. My gut feeling would be go with the latter two, so long as it won't sell out.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 1, 2011 02:13
GUEST8322 Using some website that can help buying tickets for you is the most convenient way though they charge the service fees. You may try TravelChinaGuide.com too. It also offers train ticket booking service.

Train schedule: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/shanghai-schedule.htm

You actually have booked a hotel, right? Why not contact the hotel to see if they charge the fee. I assume that you need to pay the service fee too.

I do not suggest you buy the ticket at the station on your own. As you said, you can not speak Chinese. The ticket might be sold out when you arrive.
Post a Reply to: Buying Beijing - Shanghai train ticket
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code