Menu
Where to spend Spring Festival Holidays?
Feb 1, 2011 01:17
  • JANE01
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 1 vote(s)
  2. 2 vote(s)
  3. 2 vote(s)
  4. 2 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
Spring Festival is the most important festival to Chinese people. Family members come back home, have big feasts on the New Year’s Eve and pay new year’s visit to their relatives etc. A very happy occasion, right?

Some young couples, especially those born since the 1980s, feel unhappy as the Spring Festival approaches since they have to decide where to spend the Spring Festival Holidays. According to Chinese old tradition, the wife should come back to their parents-in-law’s home and celebrate the festival with them. But things have changed over the years.

Most of those born since the 1980s are the only-child in their family. After getting married, only their parents are at home. The husbands and the wives both want to spend the festival with their own parents. Then they quarrel over this issue and some couples even divorce because of this.

Some suggestions are made as follows:

Going back to both parents’ homes. The couple can visit two places just in one-week holiday if time and money permit. But it is almost impossible for those whose homes are far away from each other.

Going back to their own home separately. It is fair but this may affect your relationship.

Going back home in turns. Visit your home this year and your parents-in-law’s home next year. Better agree on this before marriage.

Inviting the parents to your own home.

Where do you spend your Spring Festival this year?
Feb 1, 2011 03:13
The wife need to stay at her parents-in-law's home on the New Year's Eve and the first day of the new year (lunar calendar).

If both sides can not make a compromise, then they just go back to their own families.
Feb 1, 2011 09:36
  • ATTA_BUTT
Inviting the parents to your own home, or even you live on rental home.
Feb 9, 2011 03:14
GUEST7587 I am faced this problem too. My girlfriend said that she wouldn't marry me if we can not reach an agreement on this. She insisted spending the Spring Festival at her home while I preferred to spend the festival at my home.

The wife should stay at her parents-in-law's home and she usually goes back to her parents' home on Jan. 2 (Chinese lunar calendar) according to the tradition. She said "Time has changed. Women and men are equal now."

On Jan.2, I came to her home for a visit. At the feast, her mother said to me "It is the last Spring Festival my daughter (my girlfriend) has spent at home. Next year, she will stay at your home to celebrate the festival." Her dad said "Do not feel sad. She will come back to see us on Jan.2."

Her parents are traditional. But I haven't reached an agreement on this issue with my GF.
Post a Reply to: Where to spend Spring Festival Holidays?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code