Menu
Question, please
Feb 3, 2011 18:19
  • SDAVISALASKA
Hi,

My name is Scott, and I've been married to a wonderful chinese woman for alittle more than 6 months now.
Fortune blessed us a few days after the wedding, with my wife becoming pregnant, and this may, we will have our first daughter!

Okay, so here's my question:

Today, we went and saw her Doctor due to his calling us in, and telling us that her glucose count is high, and he'd like to retest her for possible gestestial diabetes.

My wifes english is very good, as she majored in it in China, but she does not know what diabetes is. So I was wondering if anyone here could refer me to a chinese website that describes what it is in chinese?

I'd greatly appreciate any help, thank you.

Feb 4, 2011 06:31
  • GAFFER
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that is caused due to high level of glucose in the blood. Though both men and women can be affected by this disease, the rate of diabetic women has increased considerably in recent years. Moreover, it is said that women are more at risk of being affected by health problems caused by diabetes than men. Hence, we will focus on knowing the symptoms of diabetes in women. Nevertheless, before we go into the details of diabetes symptoms in women, let us try to know more about diabetes mellitus i.e. about its types as well as causes.

Diabetes can be mainly classified into two types which include type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. The former i.e., type 1 diabetes is also called juvenile diabetes as it is most commonly seen in young children, teenagers and adults under the age of 25 - 30. This occurs when the pancreas are unable to produce insulin, which are responsible to carry glucose to the cells. However, when enough insulin is not produced, the glucose level in the blood increases, causing the person to have diabetes. On the other hand, type 2 diabetes is said to occur in middle aged and older people who suffer from the problem of obesity. This type of diabetes commonly occurs due to sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits. In this case, the pancreas do produce insulin, but the body becomes resistant to insulin i.e., the body is not able to use the insulin properly, leading to the presence of glucose in the blood. Apart from these two, gestational diabetes is the third type of diabetes that occurs in women. Gestational diabetes, as the name suggests occurs when a none diabetic woman is pregnant and occurs due to hormonal changes that occur in the body during at his time. Though gestational diabetes does not stay after the baby is born, women who have gestational diabetes during pregnancy, are at a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in their life.
Feb 4, 2011 06:31
  • GAFFER

Gestational diabetes affects about 3 to 6 percent of all pregnant women. It usually begins in the fifth or sixth month of pregnancy (weeks 24 and 28) and usually disappears shortly after delivery.

In gestational diabetes, the woman is producing the right amount of insulin, however, the effect of insulin is partially blocked by a variety of other hormones (such as progesterone, prolactin, estrogen, cortisol and human placental lactogen) made in the placenta (the organ that provides nourishment to the baby while developing inside the mother). This process is called insulin resistance, and begins about 20 to 28 weeks into pregnancy. As the placenta grows, more of these hormones are produced and the greater the insulin resistance becomes. In most women, the pancreas is able to make additional insulin to overcome insulin resistance. When the pancreas makes all the insulin it can and there still is not enough to overcome the effect of these hormones, gestational diabetes results.

Treatment for gestational diabetes includes eating a carefully planned diet, getting plenty of exercise, maintaining a healthy pregnancy weight, monitoring glucose levels and, if necessary, daily insulin injections.

Diet

To help the blood sugar level to stay within a normal range (60 to 120 mg/dl):

* Avoid sugar and foods high in sugar.

* Eat complex carbohydrates such as pasta, rice, grains, cereals, crackers, bread, potatoes, dried beans and peas.

* Eat fiber-rich foods such as whole grain cereals and breads, fruits and vegetables.

* Avoid saturated fats such as fatty meats, butter, bacon, cream and whole milk cheeses.

* Eat a snack before bedtime that is protein and carbohydrate based.
Feb 4, 2011 09:59
  • CHINALISI
I think in the site www.39.net may help you.

http://www.39.net/disease/diabetes/wmmf/67444.html
Feb 4, 2011 13:11
  • SDAVISALASKA
I appreciate your response, Chinalisi.
I am familiar with it, and have tried explaining this to my wife. The problem is that she comes from a family that believes in "old chinese medicine".
So, I am kind of looking for a site written in chinese, that would explain the dangers of diabetes to her.

But again, thank you for your response!
Feb 4, 2011 19:56
  • ENID
try this http://baike.baidu.com/view/923.htm for details in Chinese.
Feb 24, 2011 21:38
  • HERBEAT
Hmm... first, you need a dictionary. Second, you need some diet with less sugar or without any sugary stuff. Maybe that helps a bit... Traditional Chinese medicine doesn't normally have that strong side-effect and that's why I prefer that too.. But that takes a much longer time to finally remove the nasty sickness and stuff...
Post a Reply to: Question, please
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code