Menu
Cultural Shocks
Mar 2, 2011 02:41
  • LINGYUXISU
I know culture shocks exist, but never think it to be so funny and interesting. My friend has recently visited China and some normal things to me became so abnormal to her, i.e. people need to fold up their quilts after getting up; the pillow is filled with corn husks (it is actually buckwheat husks); the handle of a mop is quite long but of a broom is short; the bride wear white wedding dress but the groom's welcoming cars are blackā€¦ Have you experienced some cultural shocks when touring China and made a fool of yourself? I meant no offense, just want to know more about the detailed differences between China and other countries.

Mar 2, 2011 20:12
  • JIMMYB
Black cars and white wedding gown at the wedding day... Chinese modern wedding customs are totally different. Grooms wear suits and brides wear white wedding gowns. But most Chinese people do not go to the church because they do not believe in Christianity. In the meanwhile, they do observe some tradtional customs like giving betrothal gifts to the brides' family. We learn from foreigners but we also still keep some traditional customs.

Sounds a bit strange, right?
Mar 2, 2011 21:17
  • LINGYUXISU
Yeah, strange but it tells China is more open to the outside world. However, I'm worried about that the traditional customs will disappear someday.
Mar 6, 2011 21:19
  • NOBODY
For me it was something new that the groom have to "buy" his wife... and for this that the wife stays then with the parents of the groom...
Its no wonder that chinese mostly want boys... its easier to take care of the parents then the girl. (the girl will be added to the "family book" of the man, but not the man to the one of the bride)
I everytime fold up my quilts (but not as in the picture) so this had been pretty normal to me..
But else... not much. I knew a few things about China before already and had everytime somebody with me to remind me what the tradition is ^^

The only time i felt a bit strange was when i had been out together eating dinner with my girl, her parents and some friends of her parents... the friends paid, we thanked them and then her parents got unhappy because we didnt invite them within one week...

I dont know if its custom to invite them back within a week or 3-4 days... but where i come from its more like:
One time you pay, one time i....

Mar 7, 2011 02:41
  • LINGYUXISU
I know one need to invite people back, but not necessarily within one week. Of couse, it's better to invite back in a short time.

As my friends and I get together every now and then, we do it a AA or pay by turn. Not to invite back, but share the cost.
Post a Reply to: Cultural Shocks
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code