Menu
Hello :)
Mar 3, 2011 21:45
你好
Hey everyone! My name is Marty and I am from Illinois in the states. I found this forum by searching "China Forum" in google lol. I was looking for one because I start school in August and will be majoring in Anthropology with a minor in Chinese studies. I'll be officially taking Mandarin at university but for now I started learning a little on my own. I'm looking for as much help/info as possible and I figured joining this site would help me with that.

I've also chosen a Chinese nickname for myself! 小虎 Xiǎo Hǔ - Little Tiger!
I chose this name because it suits me. For one, I am 24 years old but am small for my age and have always been. Tigers are my favorite animal and they are also my Chinese zodiac sign. Could someone please tell me if I used the correct characters and if this would work as a nickname?

Where am I with my Chinese language studies? Not that far (lol). I know words and some phrases and I know around 15 characters but that is about it.
I hope this is a fun place! There are some things with the language that I find a bit confusing maybe I will start a thread later and ask about them! Thanks everyone!

再见
Mar 4, 2011 01:17
  • LINGYUXISU
I saw from your profile that you were born in 1996/11/03, which is the year of Rat, not Tiger. You could see by yourself at http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/zodiac/
Besides, you got the right Chinese characters of '小虎', which means 'little tiget'. Cute good name for a boy.
Mar 5, 2011 00:26
No I was born in 1986 that is probably an error on my part. I'm 24.
Mar 5, 2011 01:35
  • IVYSKY
HAHA,XIAOHU,

WELCOME TO CHINA!
Mar 6, 2011 21:34
Xiexie.
Mar 7, 2011 02:29
  • LINGYUXISU
Quote:

Originally Posted by DOKTORMARTINI

No I was born in 1986 that is probably an error on my part. I'm 24.

Oh, then you are a 'Tiger'. Xiao Hu would be good for you as a nick name. Do you have another offical one? I mean the one used on offical occasions.
Mar 10, 2011 13:46
Not yet. My name is Martin so I figured in Chinese it would be like Mading 马丁. Would that be correct?
Mar 10, 2011 20:12
  • LINGYUXISU
马丁is OK for a Chinese name. In that way, people here will think you take 马 as a family name and 丁 as a first name. I have a friend whose first name is 丁 and we call her 丁丁.
Mar 21, 2011 23:43
If I may ask, what does 丁 mean on it's own?
Mar 21, 2011 23:45
I looked it up and it says that it means:
# 丁: male adult; robust, vigorous; the fourth heavenly stem

Is this correct?
Mar 22, 2011 01:03
  • LINGYUXISU
Yeah, I know it means male adult and the fourth heavenly stem. But not known it means robust, vigorous yet. However, I think it should be right, I've got may knowledge both from life and dictionary:)
Last edited by LINGYUXISU: Mar 22, 2011 01:04
Post a Reply to: Hello :)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code