Menu
Study and work in china
Mar 16, 2011 09:04
  • GIRO
Hi

I am looking to do a 4-week TEFL course in China and afterwards want to get a teaching job without having to return to my home country.
Is it possible to do this and how would I go about doing it.
I would imagine that I would enter the country on a student or tourist visa and then need to change it to an actual work visa, but is that even possible to do?
Any suggestions will be appreciated...
Mar 16, 2011 20:48
  • JOHNNASH
It is almost impossible to convert your student visa or tourist visa into work visa within Mainland China, first, you should find a job in China, the employer should obtain the Foreign Expert Confirmation Letter issued by the Foreign Expert Bureau of China and Invitation Letter issued by local Foreign Affairs Office. Then you have to return to your home country to apply for China work visa.
Mar 17, 2011 06:07
GUEST02124 Thank youvfor that Johnnash...thought it may be a bit complicated. So if I could get a job offer that only starts in let's say 3 months time, I could go there a month earlier and do the course first...think that could work? I know it's a bit of a long shot, but would that be a option? Or is it a case where your visa will only be valid from date of employment?
Thanks and keep well!
Mar 17, 2011 20:16
  • JOHNNASH
I'm a little puzzled by your question, if you have obtained a job offer, and obtained the Foreign Expert Confirmation Letter issued by the Foreign Expert Bureau of China and Invitation Letter issued by local Foreign Affairs Office, you can apply for work visa in your country as soon as possible, then go to work in China.

Why do you want to go to China one month earlier? Without work visa, how can you go to China one month earlier? Do you mean that you want to go to China by holding tourist visa one month earlier? It is not an option, once you enter China on a L visa, it is very hard to change it into work visa.

The work visa is valid from the date of issuance rather than the date of employment.
Mar 17, 2011 22:24
GUEST02124 I appreciate the feedback Johnnash...
Thanks for confirming that(does make perfect sense giving it a bit of thought!) So after obtaining all the neccessary documentation and arranging my Work visa I can enter the country from date of issue.
Can I actually do my 4-week course on a workvisa or is it more a case of 'who will know anyway'?
To be more clear - I have the possibility of landing a job in China, but prefer doing a practical course before commencing. I've never done teaching and looking for a confidence booster and some teaching practice beforehand.
With that said, you can confirm that there's no way of taking up a course,securing a job and workvisa on China Mainland without returning home first(should I not secure job)? Pity...
Thanks for your feedback! All the best...

Mar 17, 2011 23:21
  • JOHNNASH
You can enter China by using work visa from the date of issue. But you have to apply for Temporary Residence Permit within 30 days after entry at the local Public Security Bureau. Work Visa is only a interim certificate for you to live in China, it is single entry, valid for 3 months, XXX days of stay after entry. Once you get the work visa, you will know the contents on it. You can only stay in China for 30 days by holding the work visa, you have to change it into residence permit under the help of employer.

There is no way of taking up a course, secure a job and work visa within Mainland China without returning home. You can first apply for a L visa or F visa to take the TEFL course, and find a job, but you have to return to your home country to apply for work visa.
Mar 17, 2011 23:42
GUEST02124 Thank you - I think I'm quite clear on the subject now.
I have however read some post that I could possible get my
L or F visa changed to a Z visa by going to Hong Kong as well,
providing I have the required documents of course.
Would you suggest that as an alternative option?
Mar 18, 2011 00:57
  • JOHNNASH
What's your nationality? 33 countries are banned from getting chinese visas in hk.
The restrictions imposed on Hong Kong are now applied to Macau as well. Like Hong Kong, 33 countries’ citizens are banned from applying for a China visa in Macau, unless they are working or living in the city: Afghanistan, Tunisia, Algeria, Bangladesh ,Congo, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, lraq, Mali, Libya, South Africa, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Malaysia, Philippines, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Nepal, Pakistan, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Mauritania, Saudi Arab, Sierra Leone, Syria.
Mar 18, 2011 07:29
GUEST99146 OK...well I'll just throw that option out of the window then!
I'm a South-African citizen, but holds a resident document for the UK, although I doubt that will count for anything in Hong Kong. It does seem to help me and give me the option of applying
for my visas in the UK.
Thanks for the info JN!
Apr 25, 2011 05:04
GUEST14036 I am a fresh pharmacy graduate.I want to work in china as a production pharmacist or teaching job.is it possible.
Post a Reply to: Study and work in china
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code