Menu
I want to marry a Chinese citizen, but how? (Please help!)
Mar 25, 2011 22:38
  • BENLIUKI115
Hello people,

I want to marry a Chinese woman, who is a Chinese citizen. What do I have to do first? What kind of paperworks do I have to do here in the U.S.?

what kind of paperworks do I have to do in China?

What is the whole process like?

I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you so much!
Mar 26, 2011 03:02
GUEST17151 Please read Marriage Registration in China for foreigners and Chinese citizen on this website http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/marriage-registration.htm, you will get much information about the requirements and procedures.
Nov 14, 2012 14:28
  • DAN777
The whole process sucks. You have to get a notorized copy of your divorce papers if divorced. Then send those to the Sec. Of State of the state you live in to have those notorized. I had an online company send those papers to the USA Secretary of State (Hillary Clinton) to be notorized and then to the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC to get a sticker. Then I flew to Guangzhou, China and went to the American Consolate to get the famous single prove paperwork (does not exist in the USA is the problem). I was lucky and my wife was with me and had her card to take. Once I got that paperwork from the American Consolute it was easier. My wife and I went to her home town and had the paperwork translated at an office and then to another office to get our red books. We had to have pictures taken. I thought it was funny my wife helped and took glue and glued the pictures in our books. My wife speaks no English. We bought wedding rings after that. I have read some couples read something but I don't remember reading anything out loud. We bought rings and had a reception where we exchanged them. I was the only one who spoke english.
Nov 14, 2012 19:46
"e bought wedding rings after that. I have read some couples read something but I don't remember reading anything out loud."

At the civil affair office or wedding reception? Some civil affair offices hold a short wedding ceremony for the newly-wedded couples. Usually, the couple read something and swear to be together witnessed by the officials.

At the wedding reception, the witness read both the bride and the groom's wedding certificates and and say some blessing words.
Nov 16, 2012 05:37
  • DAN777
Both. I was lost on the entire process. I finally asked my wife to explain each time we did something. I assume the red books meant we were married. At the reception we exchanged rings and that was all. Mostly handing out and receiving red envelopes. My wife and I communicate mostly with translation software and a small device she carries when neither of us understand what the point is. We were not sure if I was going to get the single prove paperwork when I left for China. Our plan was to get married in the USA if I could not get the correct paper. Luckily I had everything I needed three days before I left. I am using a lawyer to get her here and the lawyer would not send the paperwork in until I had every single item so I am sure I have the correct stuff. When I read about people wanting a Chinese wife, I hope they know these women are serious about marriage and know about games men play on the internet. Also it is very expensive. It can be a happy experience if both people are honest.
Nov 18, 2012 03:23
Dan,

The red books are legal certificates which proves you and your wife are legal married couple. Your marriage will be protected by the marriage law.

Do you see the dark green books at the civil office? They are divorce certificate.
Post a Reply to: I want to marry a Chinese citizen, but how? (Please help!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code