Menu
My “salt panic” experience!
Mar 27, 2011 03:25
guestsalty One week ago, I experienced the “Salt Panic”. A rumor said that the coastal cities would be contaminated by the nuclear radiation caused by Japan’s nuclear accident. Then people started buying salt. Some believed that iodized salt could prevent nuclear radiation while some thought that the salterns in coastal areas were contaminated. Thus, they should reserve enough salt in advance.

My friend told me that her brother in Dongguan went all over supermarkets and small shops but failed to buy salt. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough salt to cook meals so that I went to the supermarket to buy salt. The stuff told me that the salt was sold out. What a surprise!

Four days later, I went to the supermarket again and there was still no salt for sales. Then I went to another supermarket and finally bought 1 kg salt.

You know why? The government said that residents will not be exposed to radiation from Japan's quake-damaged nuclear plant. The rumor turned out to be untrue. The price of salt dropped sharply and the salt was on shelves again.

Today, I read that a guy bought 6.5 tonnes of salt in hope of profiting from panic buying spurred by fears of radiation from Japan. Right now, he has trouble selling his salt because he has no receipt and also because he was told it was illegal to do so. He also can't take it to another province, as the government strictly controls salt transport. His family needs 3500 years to consume it if he can not sell out his salt. Was he smart?
Mar 27, 2011 04:27
  • JIMMYB
My colleague said that his friend borrowed some salt to cook lunch. The price of a bag of salt (probably 500 grams) rose from 1.3 rmb to 7 rmb. Horrible!

The guy was smart, indeed. He knew of how to make money. But he shouldn't have done it during that time. Profiting from the national crisis is shameless.
Mar 27, 2011 21:31
  • MARRIE
Japanese hesitate eating local radioactively contaminated food and are seeking much more food import from China to maintain their daily life. Considering his sense of economical speculation, the 'salty guy', i guess, is wise enough to 'salt panic' to 'salt lottery' by selling salt to Japanese.
Mar 27, 2011 22:02
  • ONMYWAY
According to the news report, he runs a restaurant in Wuhan City. He can use the salt to make salt meat. The salt meat can be preserved for a long time.
Post a Reply to: My “salt panic” experience!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code