Menu
Use of 俺 in Chinese dialects and its transmission to Japanese?
Apr 11, 2011 05:27
  • 12CATHYYY
This has been bothering me for a long time. I've only seen 俺 (pronoun "I") used in Chinese by speakers of Northeastern Mandarin, but in Japanese it's widespread and used by males throughout most of the country on a daily basis, yet it seems that it wasn't used in pre-modern Japanese. The most common personal pronoun in pre-modern Japanese was 我. Can anyone shed some light on the history of this word's usage in Chinese and why it would have been transmitted to Japan at such a late time? (if in fact it wasn't borrowed much earlier)
Apr 27, 2011 03:59
  • GO_FISH_WXY
Ok, I'd like to give my views on your question.
I am Chinese, and can also speak Japanese very fluently as my main work language.
Basically, almost all Kanji-characters(Chinese characters) in Japanese Language origined from China over centuries.
俺 is very local dialect characters mainly used in North China, not limited to North eastern part of China.
And people who often use 俺 are currently considered as humble villager, especially in South and Central China. The extent of usage of 俺 are much wider in ancient China than modern China.
In Japan, 俺 are also widely used in casual or unofficial occasions, such as speaking with your junior or fellow family members. As unwritten rule, 俺 can only be used by male in Japan.
But you should keep it in mind that Kanji-characters has gradually lost to other forms of Characters in Japanese(e.g syllabic scripts and Latin alphabet). Some Japanese people even don't know how to write 俺 when they speak this word. Instead, they prefer to write this word in other form of syllabic script(KATAKANA):オレ。
俺's mainly used in casual and unoffical occasion in Both China and Japan.
In some Japanese's view,俺 can even be classified into unpolite language.
Post a Reply to: Use of 俺 in Chinese dialects and its transmission to Japanese?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code