Menu
Moving to china to teach advice needed!
Apr 11, 2011 17:58
guest90120 Hello,

I have recently acquired my TEFL certificate and I am now in the process of applying for jobs in China. I am not sure where to situate myself however. I thought maybe Shanghai but then i wondered if it would get to hectic after a while..a friend said that Guilin was worth looking into.

It seems like such a big decision to make when you have to pick a place to work and live in that you have never been before. I would really appreciate anyones advice. I am also learning mandarin so would like to go somewhere where the dialect isn't to different, etc.

Cheers,

Rob Warman, UK
Apr 11, 2011 20:18
  • SUNNYDAY
Well, Shanghai is more modernized and international than Guilin. And there are more overseas there than Guilin. But the natural scenery in Guilin is more beautiful than Shanghai. All in all, it will be easier for you to get used to the local life in shanghai than in Guilin. Maybe you could make Shanghai as your first station. After you get familiar with China, you could considering about moving to another city. just some personal thinkings and for your reference only. Good luck with you
Last edited by SUNNYDAY: Apr 11, 2011 20:19
Apr 17, 2011 11:33
  • JABAROOTOO
Simple

If you're a 'big city' kid then places like Shanghai offer a bustling lifestyle, loads of foregners and all the night life to go with it. Shanghai is not China. It's always been a foreign treaty port barely more than 100 years old in the real sense of a city.

If you're a 'small town' kid then somewhere like Guilin would be nice without too many hardships. As in, lots of expats in nearby Yangshuo (often cited as Guilin) or passing through and some nice foreign style eateries, pleasant climate and good scenery.

Then there's climate, culture, scenery and much more to consider. You can always move onto 'greener pastures' after your first year.

All the best

Post a Reply to: Moving to china to teach advice needed!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code