Menu
Delicious dishes in Ping Yao City
Apr 13, 2011 04:00
During my annual holidays, I went to visit Qiao's compound and Ping Yao City. I had some very tasty dishes in Pingyao. You may try them next time you go there.

No.1 Ping Yao Beef. It is very famous. You can find it in every restaurant. But pay attention that there are some fake or unauthentic ones if you want to buy some as gifts.

My friend took this photo with my D90. Her hands shook and the picture doesn't look good.

Apr 13, 2011 04:04
No.2 炒碗托

It looks like 凉皮(steamed cold noodles) in Xian but tastes very different. I ate it two times when I was there.

Last edited by LONELYJOURNEY: Apr 13, 2011 04:05
Apr 13, 2011 04:07
No.3 炒莜面栲栳栳

It tastes a bit spicy. The cook might add too much chili.

Apr 13, 2011 04:11
The dishes in Ping Yao are expensive to me. We had three dishes and a soup and paid CNY92.

PS: the local Bureau of Price sets referential prices for those dishes but the prices still vary from restaurant to restaurant. Take Ping Yao Beef for example, it costs CNY 26, CNY 28, CNY 32.
Apr 13, 2011 21:21
  • XIAOXIAO
Lonely, did you try Xiang Cao Rou and handmade mooncakes? I heard that they were also delicious.
Apr 13, 2011 22:15
  • LINGYUXISU
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONELYJOURNEY

The dishes in Ping Yao are expensive to me. We had three dishes and a soup and paid CNY92.

PS: the local Bureau of Price sets referential prices for those dishes but the prices still vary from restaurant to restaurant. Take Ping Yao Beef for example, it costs CNY 26, CNY 28, CNY 32.

Lonely, the price of Pingyao Beef differs because the quality differs. But you are right about the 'dishes are expensive'. Maybe next time, you could eat outside the old town of Pingyao and have meals in its new town, which encircles the old one. It's much much cheaper.

BTW, the 碗托can be eat as cold dishes too, just like Liangpi of Xian. People eat it as cool dish but sometimes in winter they make it a hot one. But I prefer it to be hot. My mouth is watering. Miss my hometown dishes~
Apr 14, 2011 01:46
Xiaoxiao,

I did try Xiangcao Rou and handmade mooncakes. Xiangcao Rou wasn't cheaper. It is made of pork, donkey meat or chicken. It wasn't as good as I thought. The handmade mooncakes tasted very good and weren't expensive. We spent CNY 3 buying 6 pieces.
Last edited by LONELYJOURNEY: Apr 14, 2011 01:56
Apr 14, 2011 02:08
LINGYUXISU,

We ate our last meal before we left Pingyao and it wasn't a good experience. We ordered two hot dishes, one cold dish and a bowl of soup. The soup tasted strange. Besides, we ordered Ma Po Tofu (stir-med Bean curd in hot sauce) but finally we just got fried tofu with shrimp paste. The smell was disgusting. We talked to the waiter and asked if they could change it to Ma Po Tofu. She refused and said that I ordered it. Actually, I didn't. When we paid for the bill, we asked them to exclude the cost for the tofu dish because we didn't eate it and it was totally their fault. But they refused. We were strangers in Pingyao and didn't want to make trouble. Thus, we gave up and paid the bill.

The whole journey was perfect except for the last meal.
Apr 14, 2011 21:00
  • LINGYUXISU
Lonely,

I'm so sorry about that. Maybe you could make a complaint to the tourist bureau. Although it may not help too much, at least it will be a warning to the restaurant.
Apr 15, 2011 01:20
It is said that the Empress Cixi Passed Pingyao ancient city. After tasting the delicious dishes and wines, she wanted to go to bed.
Apr 16, 2011 22:43
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINGYUXISU View Post

Lonely,

I'm so sorry about that. Maybe you could make a complaint to the tourist bureau. Although it may not help too much, at least it will be a warning to the restaurant.

Thanks for your advice. It was a small restaurant ouside the city. As I said before, we didn't want to make trouble.

PS: the dishes didn't taste good. We just fed ourselves in case we were hungry on the train.
Post a Reply to: Delicious dishes in Ping Yao City
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code