Menu
Moving to China- visa, residency permit questions
Apr 17, 2011 16:31
  • VIRGINIA9742
Hi everyone, just found this site recently and it seems to be full of useful info.

I am traveling to China in 2 weeks, for the first time, for a month on a multi-entry L-visa. I am moving to China with my partner (probably after this 30 day trip), who is Chinese, and I am trying to find out what I will need to do to stay. I will probably return to the US, and then travel back to China. From what I have read so far, I will need to apply for a Z-visa (or possibly F-visa) and also obtain a residency permit. I'm not sure if I should try to do this myself or contact some visa agency in the mainland or HK, and also not sure what they will need from me. I'm not associated with any business for work, though we are somewhat connected in China so this may not be a problem.

Any help is appreciated as I'm very new to all of this and am trying to learn as much about the process and China as I can. Thanks!
Apr 19, 2011 01:04
  • MILES
You'd better find a visa agency in the mainland China or Hk to help you to get a visa because you will avoid many troubles. Have you got a multiple entry L visa? Do you mean that you just stay in China for 30 days for the first entry, then return to US, stay in China for a long time for the second entry? In fact, I'm not very clear about your question.
Apr 19, 2011 08:30
GUEST31464 Sorry for the confusion. So I have a multiple entry L visa, and I am going to China for a visit, then I'm coming back to the US, and after a couple weeks I will be going back to China to stay. What I'm trying to do is to find a way to stay in China the second visit.

I think you're right about the visa agency being simplifying the process.
Apr 19, 2011 09:08
  • APAULT
Virginia: You can only get a Z or F visa if you meet the requirements. The Z is if you are offered a job by an organisation accredited to employ foreigners. The F visa is for people visiting on business but tends to be a grey area and many people work on one. Supporting doco is not too hard to obtain if you have the contacts or pay a fee to an agency (that has contacts). The Z visa is changed into a temporary residence permit for the period of your contract and provides unlimited exit and re-entry. F visas do not change.

If you are married the following should help: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/family-visit-permit.htm Otherwise, your application for a visa will stand on it's own, independently of your partner
Jun 29, 2011 00:16
GUEST50253 Paul! your comments are very helfpful. I was just getting worried because of the cancelation of my Z-visa, but I´ve got a residence permit instead. so I can go to Taiwan, back to China and so on without worries. greetings from 西安。Angelika
Jul 14, 2011 15:22
GUEST52536 What is the likelihood of being approved for an 'L' visa for 12 months with multiple entries? I am interested in learning more about the Chinese culture, and possibly finding a legitimate job once there.
Jul 14, 2011 20:35
  • HELPER
If you don't have an immediate relative living or working in China, it is hard for you to get a 1 year multiple entry L visa. If you have at least two China L visas in the last year, it is possible for you to get a 1 year multiple entry L visa.
Dec 23, 2011 08:09
GUEST51119 hi there ive meet a lady on the internet and want to go to china to see her and if it works out stay with her what do i need to get or do. she lives in shenzhen/Guangdong
Dec 25, 2011 20:38
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST51119

hi there ive meet a lady on the internet and want to go to china to see her and if it works out stay with her what do i need to get or do. she lives in shenzhen/Guangdong

What do you need to do? Apply for a tourist visa and come to China to see her. But I suggest you do some investigations before you set off. Make sure the lady is real. I am not trying to disappoint you but some foreigners were cheated by their 'girlfriends' online.
Dec 26, 2011 16:53
GUEST92150 Not my China girl met online. She wired money to me for an interest free loan to finish college. I didn't think mine was real either until I decided to pay for the dating service. The complete opposite happened to me of what people think usually happens in this situation.
Jan 1, 2012 10:42
  • APAULT
You should start by reading TCG's Marriage in China and Marriage between a Chinese and a foreigner. I know they are good..I wrote one of them!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Moving to China- visa, residency permit questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code