Menu
Gansu Transport Info Needed
Apr 18, 2011 10:26
  • GILA
We (2 person) are planning a big trip coming June in Guangxi and fly to Xian. Will immediately train to Thianshui in Gansu to see the Maiji Shan Caves. From Tieanshui we like to go to Xiehe to see the Labrang Monastery. From Xiehe we will need to go to Lanzhou to take a train to Xining in Qinghai to visit the attractions there. Our journey will end in Xining.

I have “Googled” (maybe not good enough) and cannot find good transport information on (1) Thianshui to Xiehe, (2) Xiahe to Lanzhou and (3) or Xiahe direct to Xining except to go to Lanzhou to take a train to Xining. It would be great to travel from Xiehe to Xining and maybe to soak in some great sights & culture along the way. Could anyone assist with transport information and contacts, if any, on this route? I have been to Lanzhou before. Maybe also to share some great sights, culture events, etc in those areas that we should cover as well. We are not on budget but would like to spend wisely.

Thanks
Apr 18, 2011 20:40
  • BL2022
I'm afraid that there is no trains traveling between the places you've mentioned above. The transportation there is not as developed as other places in China.
1. Tianshui to Xiahe: You need to go to Lanzhou first and then take a long-distance bus to Xiahe. The bus from Lanzhou to xiahe depart at 8:30,9:30 and 14:00 and takes about 4-5 hours.
2. Xiahe to Lanzhou: Bus again

Apr 19, 2011 00:54
  • GILA
Thanks very much for the prompt reply.
Wonder if I hire a taxi or mini van services in these area? Going to and flow to Lanzhou will waste lots of precious time. :-(
Apr 19, 2011 03:19
  • BL2022
THe service is not popular there but available. Make sure you hire an experienced driver.
May 6, 2011 03:50
  • SOMMER
Last June our group of four went the other direction:

Xining to Xiahe by bus with stopover at Tongren to see temple complex in a lovely valley (recommended). Bus on first leg passes thru rugged gorge and by glacial lake.
2 o/n and the next bus journey was up to greater altitude (yaks musk ox) then down thru Ganja grasslands (stopover recommended).

Xiahe last year had much construction/road works so I hope it's quieter now. Not a sleepy village anymore! Did a daytrip back out to Ganja; Sangke grassland nearby town is terribly touristy -not recommended.

To Lanzhou the road is mostly good hwy. We stopped over at Linxia to make a side-trip to Bingling Si (very recommended unless you have had enough of the Yellow River). Speedboat dock was half hour away -we didn't go from the Yongjing end. From Linxia there is actually bus connection with Tianshui (7hrs minor hwy) but required the dreaded 'insurance' of remote Gansu that doubles the cost of that journey. We chose the speedy bus to Lanzhou.

Lanzhou to Tianshui has frequent trains but without advance purchase... may wait as we did a few hours.

Majishan Grottoes were wonderful! The countryside surrounding the designated scenic areas made us stay an extra couple days. Next time we will not stay in town rather at one of the 'farm stays' that are signposted outside qualifying homes near the park entrance or perhaps one of the resort hotels within the park.

This itinerary can easily be reversed. Avoiding Lanzhou may be possible if you aren't afraid of rougher roads and willing to either pay the insurance to travel by bus or hire a car and driver -no idea how insurance works then.

Let us all know how your plans shape up!
May 9, 2011 09:24
  • GILA
Hey Sommer

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, appreciate it.

I am still searching the web and asking friends and contacts in China regarding transpiration on my up coming trip. China progress so fast and maybe they're good improvements on the said route. Sad to hear of the dreaded 'insurance' and will update you once I've been there. I will keep Lanzhou open to travel back from Transhui and then to Linzia and to Xieha, Thanks.

Glad to hear that you enjoy the surrounding area of Majishan gottoes. I have already found a hotel 5 kilometer away from Majishan grottoes and will explore the area.

I will post if I manage a wonderful trip and keep you posted if there is transportation progress in the road system,

Cheers
Post a Reply to: Gansu Transport Info Needed
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code