Menu
The dog rescue action arouses debate
Apr 28, 2011 04:03
  • MARRYMAX
On April 15, some volunteers stopped a truck on Beijing-Harbin Highway for nearly 12 hours. It said that there were more than 500 dogs in the truck. All the dogs would be sent to the slaughter house in Changchun and eventually be served in the restaurants.

The volunteers stopped the truck and tried to rescue the dogs that were kept in small cages. Some of the dogs were already dead. In the end, two men came up and paid more than 110000 yuan to buy all the dogs on that truck.

They were so kind to rescue the dogs. But the problem is still unresolved. Most dogs are sick. They need to be isolated, cured and fed. In five years, those dogs will cost around 10 million yuan. Who will pay for it? The volunteers? No, they even have no money to buy the dogs.

Dog meat is popular in some areas of China. There is a need, there is a supply. The dogs in the truck were not pets. Their destiny is being served in the restaurants. The volunteers rescued them from being killed but they can not afford to raise them until death.

Thus, some guys said that the volunteers shouldn’t have rescued the dogs. What do you think?
Dog rescue sparks debate

Last edited by MARRYMAX: Apr 28, 2011 04:04
Apr 28, 2011 07:38
  • DODGER
MM, from what I’ve heard, these dogs were not the ones raised to eat. Among them was a Tibetan mountain dog, a Golden retriever, and a Dalmatian.
Indications are that they were stolen, although the driver did have the required papers for the dogs. That in its self leads to another question.

But it was great news to read about a man with money and morals taking affirmative action.
The fact that some of the dogs were dead and others sick reflects badly on the people involved in this trade.

Dodger.
May 2, 2011 03:40
  • JIMMYB
Dodger,

These dogs weren't the ones raised to eat but they were not stolen. The Chinese sources said that these dogs were stray dogs. Some people got them and sold to the restaurants.

I am glad that someone saved them from being killed. But I am worried about their future.

My family has a tradition of raising dogs. So far, we have raised three dogs. The first died 6 years ago after being with us for more than 10 years. The second ate fishbone and finally died. The third one is so cute and naughty. We love it very much. I just want to say "If you decide to raise a dog, please treat it very well. Don't buy it for fun and then drive it away."
May 3, 2011 01:21
  • DODGER
Jimmy.
I just can’t believe that all of these dogs were strays.
A Golden Retriever, a Dalmatian, just to name two of the breeds in the truck. They are very expensive to buy, so the logic and the story of strays just doesn’t work for me.

Dodger.
May 3, 2011 04:14
  • JIMMYB
Dodger,

The material we read were "different". I know that there are some people who hunt stray dogs and then sell them to the restaurants. They also catch pet dogs. My neighbour raised a small cute dog but it disappeared one day and never came back.
May 5, 2011 05:46
  • DODGER
Jimmy,
The eating of dog meat in China is an ongoing debate.
Are they comfort animals that play with our children, keep old people company, help rescue trapped people, and help the blind. Or are they just another meal?

That is your call, not mine.

Dodger.
May 6, 2011 17:51
  • BOBERT
Barbecued blind dog is tempting, but potted Panda would be tastier.
May 8, 2011 21:34
  • JIMMYB
Dodger,

I do not eat dogs because I love them. Pet dogs shouldn't be eaten. But some people raise meat dogs. They will be sent to the restaurants as they grow up. Will you eat meat dogs?
May 9, 2011 06:12
  • DODGER
Jimmy, do you now how they kill theses dogs? They are not put to death swiftly, but are beaten to death and often skinned while still alive. I am told that this is to make the meat more tender.
On a street near to were I live is a ‘Dog restaurant, a Car wash and a Brothel. They stand side by side.
I know who from a moral perspective runs the better business.
It may have been culturally, and economically a necessity to eat dog meat in the past, but not now.

But as I said previously, it’s not my call, it’s not my country. It’s your call Jimmy. Pets or food. You can’t have it both ways.

Cheers, Dodger.
May 9, 2011 16:46
  • BOBERT
Quotes from famous vegetarians;

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men."
Leonardo da Vinci, artist and scientist

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought."
Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi, statesman and philosopher

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't...The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further."
Mark Twain, author

Last edited by BOBERT: May 9, 2011 16:49
May 9, 2011 16:47
  • BOBERT
"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
Thomas Edison, inventor

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
Pythagoras, mathematician

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."
Romain Rolland, author, Nobel Prize 1915

"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. President

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, essayist

"As long as there are slaughterhouses, there will be battlefields."
"What I think about vivisection is that if people admit that they have the right to take or endanger the life of living beings for the benefit of many, there will be no limit to their cruelty."
Leo Tolstoy author

"While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth?"
"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."
George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The dog rescue action arouses debate
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code