Menu
first trip to China! Advice!
Apr 4, 2005 01:47
  • TAYRAM21
Hi

Me and my boyfriend are heading to Beijing in August and would like to know if anyone could give us advice on a good route to take. We have three weeks to get from Beijing to Hong Kong.

At the moment we plan to go up and do a bit of the great wall, then to xian, then to Shanghai and then to Hong Kong! Is this feasable?

We are going backpacking, and it is our first experience of travelling like this, so a bit clueless!

Help!!

Gemma
Apr 4, 2005 08:13
  • TRAVELWORM
hi gemma, I too am in the middle of planning my first trip to china.
Get onto the 'intrepid travel' web site and have a look at where their 21 day trips go, this might be a good way to see where you could go in the time you have available.
Good Luck
Travelworm
Apr 4, 2005 11:59
  • DEE0228
Hello, Gemma!

Welcome to China, I know you must be looking forward to this great tour;) For most people who visit China for the first time, they always choose Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai, Hong Kong as their destinations. Since you have three weeks time to travel, you can add some more places, such as Sichuan and Yunnan where you may enjoy breathtaking natural scenery and experience the ethnic culture and life. Before making your itinerary, you’d better read more info about travel in China.

Dee:)
Apr 5, 2005 05:20
  • TAYRAM21
Thankyou for your advice, the website is really helpful! Can't wait to go to China!

Gemma
Apr 5, 2005 05:22
  • TAYRAM21
Thanks for your advice, they look like great places to go.

Gemma
Apr 5, 2005 15:24
  • ESME
Hi!

I also need some advice. It's my first trip as a backpacker and I've only been to Hong Kong and Shenzhen in a business trip.

I'm planning a 3 week trip with my husband in August-September. The itinerary I've planned is the following:

1. Spain-Beijing
2. Beijing arrival
3. Beijing
4. Beijing
5. Beijing
6. Beijing
7. Beijing-Xian (train soft sleeper)
8. Xian (arrival and Warriors)
9. Xian-Shanghai (train soft sleeper)
10. Shanghai
11. Shanghai (maybe visit Hangzhou)
12. Shanghai-Guilin (train soft sleeper)
13. Guilin (arrival)-Yangshuo (Li River)
14. Yangshuo
15. Yangshuo-Longshen
16. Longshen
17. Longshen-Guilin-Hong Kong (train)
18. Hong Kong (arrival)
19. Hong Kong
20. Hong Kong
21. Hong Kong-Beijing (by plane)
22. Beijing-Spain

Do you think it's too much for only 3 weeks? Would you recommend other places?

Also I'd like to visit Xiamen, but I don't know how to get there from Hong Kong, apart from the plane.

I've already read some useful messages at the forum, but please help me!

Esme
Apr 5, 2005 15:32
  • DEE0228
There is not too much to expect in Xiamen. you may choose Jiuzhaigou valley which is the most beautiful place in China. You could shorten the days in beijing, 3-4days is enough. Do you make this itinerary by yourself? I think it's nice and feasible.
Apr 5, 2005 15:54
  • ESME
Yes, I made the itinerary by myself, I used Lonely Planet and some websites.

If I go to Jiuzhaigou valley, I have to change the itinerary, I won't have time to visit all. Or do you think it's feasible? Can I go to Jiuzhaigou by train from Xian?

Regards,

Esme
Apr 5, 2005 16:36
  • DEE0228
yes, if you add Jiuzhaigou, you must change your itinerary. There is no train bettwen Xi'an and Jiuzhaigou. people usually take train to Chengdu first and transfer a long-distance bus from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou.
I think you should keep your previous plan. if you want to include jiuzhaigou, Shanghai, Guilin, Longsheng them all, the itinerary will be too tight and complicated.

You can leave Jiuzhaigou for your next China journey;)
Post a Reply to: first trip to China! Advice!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code