Menu
Sharing Info with North Korea?
May 10, 2011 18:51
  • NOSLEEPTILL
I am applying for a visa to go to North Korea and I put down my employer contact information, as requested. I work at a private company.

That visa is working itself through the pipeline now, but I *may* get an offer for a new job soon with the US federal government.

As I put in my application for the N Korean visa already, I wasn't going to concern myself will telling them I may be switching jobs (also, I'm sure they wouldn't like me working for the federal government, even though my work there would have *nothing* to do with foreign policy stuff). It's still up in the air and if I take it, letting them know would throw a wrench in my plans last minute.

If I take this new job, though, with the US federal government, when I apply for my tourist visa to visit China (where I would stay for a while en route to N Korea), I would be putting my new, federal gov't job on my visa application with China when they ask for employer information. I see no problem with getting a Chinese visa that way.

My concern is...is there any possibility or likelihood that the N Korean travel administration (that handles all tourism to N Korea) would get a hold of my (almost) concurrent Chinese visa application, and see that I'm not working where I told them I was working? Or would a Chinese tourist visa somehow indicate that I work for the US gov't? I'm not sure if it's better to just put my old job on the application, but I don't want to do anything improper on my Chinese visa application.

I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid here, but I wanted to double check that there would be no possibility that N Koreans could see a discrepancy between my jobs, especially given that one of them is with the US gov't.

Thanks for any assistance.
May 11, 2011 05:10
  • DODGER
Nosleeptill, I suggest that you contact your nearest US consulate and ask their advice about traveling to North Korea.
My guess is that they would advise against it. The reason should be obvious to you.

Dodger.
Post a Reply to: Sharing Info with North Korea?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code