Menu
Travelling alone in China
Jun 1, 2011 22:47
  • JESS_T_P
Hi,

Is it safe for a female to travel alone in China? I have travelled in various countries alone and think of myself as street and travel smart.

The places that I want to visit the most are Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian and Dunhuang.

Is Dunhuang worth visiting? I am really interested in ancient Chinese history and would love to visit places that represent that.

My thoughts are to book day tours in each place that I am staying, so that I learn about the history of the place.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jess

Jun 2, 2011 00:42
  • DASANKITA
Hi,
That's really great. But travelling with friends or family includes more fun.

Jun 3, 2011 20:35
  • JESS_T_P
Yes you are right but I do not have that option.

That is why I'm asking if it's fine to travel alone!
Jun 5, 2011 00:55
  • CCYQ
i am afraid you will meet language problems. cause in china. is not everyone can speak Eng. is not everyone that are able to communicate with you.
Jun 6, 2011 07:46
  • RICHARD121
Language barrier is a thing that you will have to face. So do keep a Chinese to English dictionary with you. That can somehow help you. Also there are travel groups, so you can join one and that will make your trip less expensive and also safe.
Jun 6, 2011 18:30
  • ROSEUK
hi jess,

i think you will be fine travelling in china. it is one of the safest countries in the world for a woman to travel alone. 3 years ago i travelled round china for 3 months and had a fantastic time. people are helpful and friendly and completely non-threatening. i never felt in any danger at any time. just follow normal safety rules that you would do in any country and you will be absolutely fine.

i haven't been to dunhuang but have been to all the other places, and many others, with no problem. have a great trip!

rose
Jun 9, 2011 10:04
  • JABAROOTOO
Very safe, just take the same amount of care that you would anywhere else, but watch yourself in crowded places and especially if you seem to be drawing the attention of a crowd. There is lots of pick pocketing around tourist attractions and a person on their own is a good target.

I've not been to Dunhuang either and depends wheat kind of history you want to see. My advice is to do your homework well before you come. It is a long way from all your other locations. why not look for something that is logistically easier to fit into your tour and do Dunhuang another time with some of the other places out in Xinjiang and Qinghai.

China's history is boundless. Enjoy your trip
Jun 28, 2011 02:59
Hi, Jess - I am planning something similar but not until after the London Olympics. I want to go for year, having been there before and having fallen in love with the place.

I am at the stage of not knowing where to start ! I do feel comfortable with the basic safety of China, certainly in comparison with many other countries, and the Chinese are usually very helpful and fascinated by Westerners, especially women.
Jun 2, 2012 23:11
GUESTSISCA Hi.
I have a same plan with u to go to travel alone.
Can u tell me how was ur travelling last year in China?
Can u give u ur address skype or YM maybe, I need information before I want to travel.
Thanks a lot
Post a Reply to: Travelling alone in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code