Menu
[Shanghai] Advice Needed.
Jun 13, 2011 16:21
  • THERAVEN
Hi!

In the months of Dec-Jan I'll be doing a trip to Shanghai, will travel alone and want to know if someone can give me some advice on how to find really cheap accomodation, I am not interested in luxury serviced apartments and things like that. Just want something simple (and furnished haha).

My plan is to stay in Shanghai about 25 days, move to Wuhan 10 days, and then go back to Shanghai another 10 days before leaving the country. :)

Also, I'm gonna visit the cities of Kunshan, Nanjing and Suzhou, so any valuable information about that cities will be much appreciated.

I've been thinking I'll probably need someone to guide me through the city and show me the best places around it, but also would like to experience a bit of chinese culture and lifestyle. :D (if you live in Shanghai and are enthusiastic about guiding people, I'm definitely interested in getting in touch with you)

I have travelled alone several times, but this time I'm a bit worried about the language barrier and the security, do I have to worry about this two things?

Thank you very much for your help and time! :D
Jun 13, 2011 20:22
  • BL2022
1. Really cheap accommodation? Maybe you could try to find one hostel operated by a family near those universities and colleges. You could rent one room for a month or so and that will save you money. Also, you'd better find one with air-conditioner, for it is cold in Shanghai in December and January.
2. valuable information about that cities: maybe these will be helpful, http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/nanjing.htm
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/suzhou.htm
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/jiangsu/kunshan/
3. If you'll live near a university, you could find a student to guide you and pay for him or her. You could find one by posting advertisement near the school canteen. I saw you were born in 1990 and that's just the age with the current university student. December and January is the winter holiday for the students. Student guides are cheap and some can speak very good English. Also, they could live in their dormitory and you don't need to pay for their accommodation.
4. I think you'd better find a companion. At least you need to find one to take photo for you.
Last edited by BL2022: Jun 13, 2011 20:25
Jun 14, 2011 13:36
  • THERAVEN
Thank you for your quick response!

I have a couple of new questions: are those hostels good regarding security?
And the other question, for example if one weekend I want to go to another city (Wuhan, Chongqing or Suzhou), is it more recommendable to travel via high-speed train or is better to do it by plane?

Thanks again :D
Jun 14, 2011 20:10
  • BL2022
1. I think it's OK to live in a hostel around the school yard. My friend live in one of them when he visited Xian. But he is a boy and a Chinese. If you are worrying about it, you may ask the student guide to stay with you or chose a room next to the owner's and do not go out at late night.
2. To Suzhou, the D-train or G-trains are best choice. They only take about 30 minutes on the way.
To Wuhan, I also prefer D-train. The second-class ticket takes only rmb256. THe duration time is 5.5 hours.
Chongqing is far from Shanghai and even the high speed train takes about 15 hours. If your budget is not that tight, you may travel by air.
You may check the train info at http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/
Jun 17, 2011 12:00
  • AUSSIEAL
You need to try the Shozou Youth Hostel - 400 year old building and cheap. A great experience in the old part of town and close to gardens and temples.
Post a Reply to: [Shanghai] Advice Needed.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code