Menu
tips for guides
Jul 12, 2011 20:56
  • ANUBIS
will be in china for 2 1/2 weeks; using a company that set up our planes/hotels/cruise ship/etc. going to shanghai, xian, tibet, river cruise, beijing. in each of the cities we will have a different tour guide. i've notiticed a lot of times people don't tip (cabs, restaurants, etc) is it customary, or not, to tip our guide in each of the various cities or is this included in the price? if you do tip, what is the customary practice? (please don't say whatever you feel) some type of standard would be appreciated, thanx
Jul 12, 2011 22:45
  • SUNNYDAY
Tipping is not customary in China. But it has been accepted in some high-standard restaurants and hotel. I think you don't need to tip the restaurants waiters and hotel servants if you are in a tour, for you won't be with them for long. About the guides, if you are satisfied with the services, you could tip them to ensure the good service during your following days there.
Last edited by SUNNYDAY: Jul 12, 2011 22:46
Jul 12, 2011 22:51
GUESTLILY I happened on this when surfing the internet: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/tipping.htm
Jul 14, 2011 23:04
  • QINQIN
hey, in fact many of my clients asked me this question.

regarding hotels stuff and tour guide, if you think the service is good, you can tip up 10rmb, or also ups to your change.

As for restaurant and bars, most of western restaurant and bars accept tip. or some times you will get better service with more tips. But most of chinese retaurant and certain western restaurant also do not accept tips, such as pizzahut.

so it is hard to see where you should tip ,where you should not. you need to see according to your experience.

hope you enjoy china trip.

qin
tour guide in shanghai
126.com|qinqinbetter2008
Post a Reply to: tips for guides
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code