Menu
Beijing to Lhasa...how?
Apr 7, 2005 09:02
  • HASAI
What is the best way to do this? I'd like the cheapest route, time is a consideration but I have some leeway.

I'd need to go from Beijing to Lhasa, then back to the US. I'd like to see Kathmandu if possible.

Thanks for any help.
Apr 7, 2005 09:06
  • BRANDY
Do u want to visit lhasa only and then transfer to Kathmandu?
Apr 7, 2005 09:14
  • CATHERINE
Since there are no railways available in Lhasa, so your only choice is by air. There are daily flights from Beijing to Lhasa, and the airfare will be CNY2480.

Budget way is travel from Beijing to Qinghai, then enter Tibet by road. That will be a rather long journey.
Apr 7, 2005 09:29
  • DEE0228
Two ways from Beijing to Lhasa
1. direct flight from beijing to Lhasa , 2480yuan, available daily, 5 hours journey

2. by train from Beijing to Chengdu, 400-600yuan, the journey takes about 30 hours. Then take a flight from chengdu to Lhasa, airfare is 1550yuan, available daily
Apr 7, 2005 17:45
  • LOSANG
While there is a flight from Beijing to Lhasa, it will probably be easier to first go to Chengdu. In Chengdu it is much easier to arrange a Tibet Travel Permit for Lhasa. There are several guesthouses in Lhasa that specialize in getting foreigners to Lhasa. The current price is around Y1900 ($231) for a one-way plane ticket and permit to Lhasa. It is possible to get a permit in Lhasa, but it will be more of a headache. Chengdu is much easier.

From Lhasa, you can hire a 4WD to take you to the border. The current price of this is around Y500 per person in a shared 4WD. From the border, there are buses to Kathmandu. Be aware that entering back into China/Tibet from Nepal can be a bit tricky. As of right now (and things change often) you must enter into Tibet from Nepal on a group visa. That means that you must enter Tibet with your group and leave with your group and your visa is only valid for the Tibet Autonomous Region. If you come into Tibet and want to go to mainland China, you will need to get your visa switched in Lhasa. If you are planning on travelling to Nepal and entering Tibet again with your friends, then that should constitute a "group" and things may be a lot easier for you.

The cheapest way to get to Lhasa is to go through Golmud and NOT get a Tibet Travel Permit. Negotiate with the bus driver on your own. You should be able to get a bus ticket for around Y600 pretty easily. It is a lot cheaper than the Y1900 that CITS in Golmud is currently charging (as of 1 month ago). To ge to Golmud take a train (or fly) to Xining. From Xining there are trains every evening to Golmud. From Golmud there are several buses per day to Lhasa.
Apr 8, 2005 07:31
  • LOSANG
In the first paragraph, I meant to say it is possible to get a permit from BEIJING (not Lhasa) but it can be more of a headache.
Apr 11, 2005 10:58
  • HASAI
So going to Nepal through China seems like too much trouble. I think I will take the train, see Lhasa and maybe a little more of Tibet, and then take the train back to Beijing where I will catch my flight home. Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary?

What are the risks in not getting a Tibet travel permit?
Apr 11, 2005 13:33
  • HASAI
I guess my real question is: is it worth it to try to save the money and take the bus and skip on the pass for Tibet, or should I just go to Chengdu and fly in?

Thanks for all the help.
May 18, 2011 23:19
GUEST24718 I have my client coming from Milan to Beijing - chengdu and lahsa. All the the time they will be in Transit . how is it possible to handover the permit . Can the clients come out of Transit meet our local representative to get the permit collected
Jun 23, 2015 07:27
GUESTABC do i need permission visa to change my plane in lasha? i am travelling from chengdu to kathmandu
Post a Reply to: Beijing to Lhasa...how?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code