Menu
Kathmandu, Lhasa, Beijing
Apr 7, 2005 09:39
  • ENDA
Hi,

I am hoping to travel from Katmandu to Lhasa and then fly to Beijing from there. My main headache is how to get from Kathmandu to Lhasa. Does anyone know if this is possible independently?

I have seen lots of tours from Katmandu to Lhasa but they all look very expensive and end up flying you back to Kathmandu when it's over.

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
Enda

Apr 7, 2005 10:11
  • FRIDAY
The following is an excerpt from CYNTHIAA's post:

"To enter Tibet from a China-bordered country, travelers need to get the Letter of Confirmation issued by the Chinese embassy in that country (Note: Do not mix it up with Tibet Travel Permit). For example, if you want to fly from Nepal to Tibet, you need to get the Letter of Confirmation from the Chinese Embassy in Nepal (http://www.chinaembassy.org.np/ ) in addition to your visa and passport. Travelers can either have it done through local travel agencies or by themselves. "
Apr 7, 2005 17:52
  • LOSANG
The person who posted before me may be right but I have never heard of anyone having to get a letter. Things are always changing so that post may be correct. I am just saying that in the 3+ years I have lived in Tibet, I have never heard of that. It is quite easy to arrange transportation from Kathmandu to Lhasa. There are plenty of travel agents in Kathmandu that are well experienced in this (especially in Thamel). I have a friend of mine in Kathmandu that can arrange this for you. The current cost for a 4WD fro Kathmandu to Lhasa is around $130. His name is Jeet and his email is yahoo.com|trekkers_society. Tell him Tashi Dele and that Losang recommended him.
Apr 7, 2005 21:33
  • ENDA
Folks,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have emailed Jeet regarding transport to Tibet and asked him if I could get the Tibet Permit in Kathmandu off him too. If I learn something during my travels I might be able to offer some tips in the future, for now I am on a steep learning curve requesting all the info...unless anyone wants to know anything about Ireland!

Thanks again,
Enda
Post a Reply to: Kathmandu, Lhasa, Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code