Menu
zha jiang mian ( Beijing fried-sauce noodles)
Sep 1, 2011 20:59
  • YEELEE
Introduction of Zhajiang mian:
Zhajiang mian (fried sauce noodles) is a northern Chinese dish consisting of thick wheat noodles topped with a mixture of ground pork stir-fried with fermented soybean paste.

In Beijing cuisine, yellow soybean paste is used, while in Tianjin and other parts of China sweet noodle sauce , hoisin sauce, or doubanjiang may be used in place of the yellow soybean paste. In the cuisines of Beijing, Tianjin, and northeastern China, the soybean paste is stir fried and oil is not used.

Some Chinese restaurants may refer to zhajiang mian as "brown meat sauce noodles" "noodles with fried bean and meat sauce". It is sometimes referred to by the nickname "Chinese spaghetti" in the West, which is symmetrical to Chinese calling spaghetti bolognese "Western zhajiang mian."

How to cook it?
The following is a rough sketch for making zhajiang mian. Consult recipe books for more detailed directions.
Dice scallions and garlic.
Stir-fry the ground pork until it is slightly brown. Remove the meat from the wok.
Stir-fry the green onions and garlic until they are slightly brown. (One could also add shredded tofu or soybeans to this step).
Place the meat back into the wok/frying pan.
Add the yellow soybean paste, sweet noodle sauce, broad bean paste, or hoisin sauce to the mixture with some water and simmer.
Serve this meat sauce over noodles. If desired, add condiments like shredded carrots, shredded cucumbers, bean sprouts, scrambled eggs, fresh soybeans/edamame and hot sauce.

Sep 10, 2011 04:55
  • JOEC10
This sounds delicious. I use bean sauce a lot in my Chinese cooking.

I am going to be in Beijing from 14-19 Sept. Besides the obvious Peking Duck, can you recommend any typical Beijing food that you think is a must try?
Sep 10, 2011 06:02
  • YEELEE
Dalian Huoshao in old area
Hidden inside a neighborhood at Hepingli, this restaurant’s quality is attested to by experienced epicures who are familiar with traditional foods.
It is always hard to find a seat if you arrive around dinnertime. The restaurant does not take reservations, so diners are suggested to simply wait until the mostly middle-aged diners finish their food and conversation.
Although ordinary dishes and hotpot are available, the restaurant is famous for, as its name implies, Dalian huoshao, a traditional type of pan-fried roll-on-a-stick with different stuffings, from pork with fennel to lamb with green onion to vegetarian options. The sticks are usually eaten with vinegar, like dumplings.
These sticks are fried golden and a little burnt but very soft on the inside. Its smell is one to be savored. The huoshao is best matched with kohlrabi and the restaurant’s sauce.
Make sure to drink your bowl of free corn porridge. It’s the most important part of this vintage working-class Beijing dinner.
Fried tripe (25 yuan) is also available at Xuji, though it doesn’t compare with Dongxingshun’s offering. The sauce (3 yuan) is a must-try.
Traditional Beijing snacks such as zhagezhi (8 yuan) are also special. This snack is simple fried dough eaten with vinegar and sesame oil. The zhagezhi here is creamy on the inside, much to diners’ satisfaction.
Xuji Dalian Huoshao
Where: Opposite to a gas station, east of Jiangzhaikou intersection (first intersection north of Andingmen subway station), Dongcheng District
Open: 11 am – 2 pm, 5-9 pm
Tel: 6420 5345

Sep 10, 2011 06:03
  • YEELEE
Yaoji Fried Liver
Yaoji is the most popular old restaurant in the neighborhood around Gulou, usually with a long queue outside. Most of the residents in the area can still remember the simple pleasure of sharing a bowl of fried liver with their parents after school. The baozi at Yaoji is also recommended.
Where: 331, Gulou Dong Dajie, Dongcheng District
Open: 6 am – 10:30 pm
Tel: 8401 0570

Xiaochang
chen
This restaurant is famous for its salt-boiled baked-wheat cake, which contains pork, tofu, liver and kidney – these are used because traditional working-class people could not afford more expensive meat – in traditional sauces.
Where: Xiaoyou Hutong, Shichahai, Xicheng District
Open: 11 am – 9 pm
Tel: 6402 5858
Sep 12, 2011 15:34
  • JOEC10
Thank you for your suggestions. I leave tomorrow and will try everything that I can. I also have a cooking lesson arranged with my day tours while I am there.
Sep 13, 2011 04:00
  • YEELEE
Enjoy your time in Beijing!
Sep 15, 2011 05:56
  • JOEC10
Tried the noodles tonight. Wow! Really delicious. This version had some star anise in it. They served it with shredded zucchini and cabbage. And had a dish of stir fried mushrooms, red and green bell pepper, bamboo shoots, leeks, a few salted black beans, lots of garlic slices, some red pepper and I think a little sesame oil. It was a little too salty, but still I ate all of it. I will try to make my own version of it.

The restaurant was a very small one around the corner from my hotel. 2 dishes cost 50 RMB.
Sep 15, 2011 09:35
  • YEELEE
You are really good at taste food,gourmet tastes.You`d better not put so much sauce,that kind sauce is salty.
Post a Reply to: zha jiang mian ( Beijing fried-sauce noodles)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code