Menu
What if you meet a bear in wild?
Oct 8, 2011 21:27
  • GRIZ326
We have a lot of bear here in the rocky mountains of Montana. I don't worry about them, because I always have a gun with me. Lead poisoning is very effective against bear.

It is true that bear do not want encounters with humans and they hear and smell you from far away. I've never seen a bear while hiking in the mountains of the western US in 30 years.

...but surprise them, approach a cub, or walk up on them when they are feeding on a kill, and you are in big trouble without regard to the bear being black, brown, or grizzly.

You cannot out run a bear. Black & brown bears climb trees - and grizzlies can too if they are mad enough. Making yourself appear big works with cougars - but not with an angry adult bear that may weight 200-400 pounds. Balling up on the ground and playing dead are options of last resort not my idea of a good idea except that you do not want to expose your head and neck.

If you have the chance, slowly back out of the situation without looking the beast in the eyes. (It is amazing the connection you make with wild animals when you look straight into their eyes) If it is a black bear, the first charge is probably the real deal - shoot; if it is a grizzly, the first charge is probably a mock charge - don't look the bear in the eyes, continue to back away and get your gun ready just in case. ...at least those are my theories based on reading every bear attack report for this part of the US.

The gun stores here sell bear pepper spray to the tourists. Like one tourist asked, "How much do I have to put on to keep the bear away." His question was absolutely sincere. I almost peed my pants laughing. I trust my gun more than pepper spray, but if you can't shoot, it's better than nothing.

A couple of my neighbors have had close calls with bear, both men survived by killing momma bear. Neither man was quite the same for several months after the attacks, it had profound effect on them.

Lao Po has a different approach when young bear get into her chicken pen. She yells at them in Chinese and hits them with her garden hoe as the poor little thing runs up the nearest tree. She's actually scared away several young bear that way in the last two years. The first time she did it, I pulled my gun and was ready to shoot the bear...but that poor little thing was TERRIFIED of my wife and cried like a baby.

I've never experienced a bear attack, although I have had small bear snarl at me and get poised to attack. I'm the deadliest creature in the forest and wild animals - especially the young ones - know it when I call their bluff. I wouldn't be so brave against an adult bear, although my gun would be ready. I've had two close calls with cougar (mountain lion) here; I shot one and avoided an attack by the other.

Remember, as cute as a little bear can be, when momma kicks the cub out of the den to go on its own, it is strong enough to tear any human to shreds even though it probably weighs no more than 30-40 pounds.
Oct 11, 2011 04:06
GUEST1221 Griz,

Thanks for sharing your valuable information. I read what you said and concluded "Don't irritate the bears and be very careful when you are in the wilds"
Oct 14, 2011 08:08
GUEST56126 Meeting a bear in the wild?

Pray it doesn't happen to you...
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What if you meet a bear in wild?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code