Menu
A Carp Funeral
Sep 20, 2011 04:30
Some people eat fish but some people do not. In a small village of Fujian Province, fish, to be exact, the carp is their priceless treasure. They love carps, worship carps and never eat fish even during the famine in 1960s. Besides, there is a creek in the village, which is called the Carp Creek. You can not imagine that there are more than 20000 carps in the creek.

According to the local historical records, a Zheng’s family settled down at the village during the South Song Dynasty. To prevent the water pollution or being poisoned, they fed the carps in the creek and ordered their families not to catch or hurt the carps. Their generations remember their ancestor’s words and obeyed the rule. So the number of the carps have increased fast, finally reaching 20000.

In the village, there is an old tradition that has been observed for more than 800 years. When a carp dies, the villagers will hold a special funeral. A respectable old man holds the dead carp on a wood plate and walks toward a thousand years old willow, followed by a group of people and accompanied by funeral music. Under the willow is the carps’ tomb. The respectable old man burns three sticks of incense, prepares a cup of liquor, kowtowed nine times toward the dead carp and then read a funeral oration for it. Then they set off firecrackers and put the carp into the tomb. The whole ceremony lasts for around 20 minutes. If you were there, you would not think that it is a funeral for a carp but for a man. It is said that more than 10000 carps have been buried there.

The Carp Creek in the village has been included in Guinness for the Carps’ Tomb, Carp Funeral and oration at the carp funeral.

Sep 24, 2011 03:46
  • KEVIN0518
Thanks for sharing us, Avatar. I read that ancient Chinese people feed carps in wells in case some people poison their water.
Sep 25, 2011 19:33
  • LOKI
You know i always thought it was strange when people took their deceased pets to the taxidermist and then bring them home.
Sep 29, 2011 23:08
  • LAUGH
Quote:

Originally Posted by LOKI

You know i always thought it was strange when people took their deceased pets to the taxidermist and then bring them home.

It's cruel to me. I think burying them is a good sugestion.
Oct 25, 2011 22:53
Carps are very important to the villagers. They bury the dead carps because they worship and respect the carps.

Laugh, the animals will die one day. This is for sure. Better not raise any animal as pets and then you won't feel miserable when they pass away.
Post a Reply to: A Carp Funeral
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code