Menu
Are mainland prices higher than U.S ?
Oct 19, 2011 01:32
  • POPLAROCEAN
Have prices of some consumer goods on the mainland outpaced those in the United States?

The findings of an informal survey by a mainland newspapers suggest that may be the case.

Last week, the Guangzhou-based Yangcheng Evening News distributed a questionnaire to its readers with the headline "What can 100 yuan buy on the mainland?"

Instead, the question raised another: what can US$100 buy in America?

Mainlanders submitted lists of items they could buy for 100 yuan (HK$122) in their places of residence, while their American friends and relatives submitted similar lists of items they could buy for US$100.

The survey findings found that most respondents liked to compare the prices of consumer goods on the mainland and the US.

A respondent wrote that a monthly salary of US$2,000 could afford him all the necessary home appliances in the US, but it was enough for just an LED television on the mainland.

Another respondent cited a US-based Chinese friend as saying that US$100 could buy three pairs of Levi's jeans in the US, while it cost 700 yuan, or about US$110, to buy just one pair in Guangzhou.

Most respondents' shopping lists focused on daily necessities such as food, clothing and transport. And there was rife debate about rising food prices, which account for a third of the consumer price index. Soaring prices of pork, a mainland food staple, was of particular interest.

A respondent said 3kg of pork costs 90 yuan, while 5kg of soy bean oil cost 100 yuan, which would have bought 10kg just two years ago.

Another said 100 yuan, which was enough to last him half a month in 2004, lasts just four days now.

He said inflation has far outpaced his salary since 2004.

The survey found that 100 yuan was enough to buy food for five people in Guangdong for a day, but it was barely enough to buy a piece of clothing for a Shanghai resident.

Rising prices have become a politically sensitive issue for the central government, which is concerned that inflation could undermine social stability.

The survey came as Premier Wen Jiabao once again vowed to stabilise surging food prices and ensure a stable supply of food.

The mainland is often believed to have cheaper goods than developed countries. However, recent media surveys suggest that staple items - such as fruit, eggs, milk and meat - are now more expensive on the mainland than in the US.

Taking the above into account, you will not feel suprised at the higher price when you come China to travel.

Oct 20, 2011 01:09
GUEST22201 Thanks for letting me know this.
Oct 20, 2011 22:40
GUEST56126 I just returned from China. Since my first trip to China in 2006, I've seen prices of basic foods rise and rise and rise. Money for money, I mean if you earn USD and live in USA vs. earning CHY and living in China, China is more expensive.

No wonder all our Chinese friends who come to the USA return to China with heavy suitcases.
Oct 23, 2011 08:34
  • COOLSPRINGS
It is true that the living standards has already caught up with even exceeded western developed countries in China middle east coastal ereas like, Yangtze triangle and Hang Zhou Bay areas (It's what we called Jiang Nan Reggion)!
Oct 24, 2011 00:54
GUEST08189 Indeed, the price in China is expansive. Especially for the property rent or purchase in Beijing!
Oct 24, 2011 04:00
GUEST08189 I agree with you, the price of a house is very higher in Beijing !
Post a Reply to: Are mainland prices higher than U.S ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code