Menu
getting her to the states with no domicile?
Nov 1, 2011 10:15
  • JOHNLUCY
Desiring to marry my Chinese sweetheart, I am concerned about the domicile language on the US Embassy website in Guangzhou. As I read it, the language seems to imply that I, as her sponsor, must own a home in the states. I do not own a home and have rented an apartment for several years. When back in the states with my Chinese wife, we do not want to be tied down to a specific area by owning a home. We desire to rent wherever we choose to live. Surely, the government does not discriminate against renters, do they? Is there someone out there who can shed light on this very important subject for us? Thank you very much in advance for your help. John and Lucy
Nov 4, 2011 11:56
GUEST11170 The government wants to see that you have a genuine marriage (not one of convenience to obtain a green card) and that you can maintain your new wife without recourse to public funds. Owning a house helps as does proof of an adequate income. Your alternative would be to find a co-sponsor who will guarantee support.
Nov 6, 2011 11:54
GUEST12578 I know a few Americans who married Chinese brides, who don't own homes. Proof of income at a certain level (2 year tax returns) will be sufficient.
Nowadays home ownership is a liability in many parts of the USA.
Nov 24, 2011 02:33
  • CIDCHASE
I do not own a home and had no problem. The documents only ask where you intend to live in the US. Your proof of income is important. Save your correspondence, phone records, emails, photos of you and your wife in China, receipts for airfare, all things useable as evidence of your genuine relationship.

Cid
Nov 24, 2011 06:18
GUEST09899 Thank you very much for your kind response. It was very helpful. Now maybe you can help with this... I have to file a I-130 application for her in GuangZhou, about a 3 hour flight. They say I have to do this in person but they do not say if I need to make an appointment or how to do so... do you have any insight about this...?
Nov 24, 2011 20:44
GUEST10172 Log on USCIS website, then search form I-130, and follow the instructions.

If you are in the USA, you have to mail it to the address mentioned.
Nov 24, 2011 23:09
GUEST09899 Thank you. I have looked at the instructions. They say to come in person but give absolutely no information if an appointment has to be made. I went to Beijing to get a certificate of divorce and had to make an appointment there and did so online. No problem. But with this I-130 situation I get no phone reply or email information. Maybe it is a secret?
Post a Reply to: getting her to the states with no domicile?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code