Menu
How to deal with children’s lucky money?
Jan 30, 2012 22:04
  • JIMMYB
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 15 vote(s)
  2. 23 vote(s)
  3. 2 vote(s)
  4. 4 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
Young children are longing to the Chinese Spring Festival because they can get lucky money from their parents and relatives. Well, the parents are not as happy as the children because they have to send out lucky money and figure out how to deal with their children’s lucky money.

A 14-year old boy wrote a post on the internet to object that his dad took away his lucky money. He thought he was old enough to take care of his lucky money and made a plan to buy stationary, spend summer vacation and pay for the parties with his classmates.

His dad and mom earn about 6000 yuan per month together. During every Spring Festival, they have to take out more than 4000 yuan to give lucky money to their relatives and friends’ kids. Thus, his dad believed that his son should contribute his lucky money to his family. Why? He tried to teach his son to care about his family and learn that it is difficult to make money to support a family.

As a result, the dad and the son quarreled. Then the son wrote on the internet to oppose his dad.

Do you think the dad should take away his son’s lucky money? If not, do you have any good suggestions on how to deal with the lucky money?

Last edited by JIMMYB: Jan 30, 2012 22:10
Jan 31, 2012 03:08
GUESTLILY I would rather leave some for kids as their pocket money and deposite the left as their name in the bank.
Jan 31, 2012 04:18
GUESTGUESTFR... Considering the parents earnings and 67% to spend on lucky money is an expense affair. Lets not make a festive season unpleasant. My suggestions is to let the children keep 50% or less depending how much the parents financial situation can afford, that way it eases the parents cost after all they hv new clothings, shoes etc to buy for the children as well, not forgetting expenses for special food for occasion. These can be explain to the children, they hv to learn to appreciate what's given to them and not about "me, me, me" when all he thought about is how he wants to spend the money on himself.
Jan 31, 2012 21:12
GUEST2773 It's sad to hear about this. The boy is too young and can not understand what their parents have done to their family.

It is important to help the kids have a clear and right view on money. When I was a kid, my parents took away my lucky money and gave me a small portion to buy stuff I want. When I was in high school, they didn't take away my lucky money. But I gave it all to my parents because I learnt that it was difficult for them to make money and support my sister and me.
Feb 1, 2012 20:15
Today’s children are too selfish. They ask too much from their parents but never consider of rewarding them. The boy plans to spend his lucky money having parties with his classmates and traveling in summer. He never thinks of bringing their parents together to travel in summer.

The boy’s parents did a right thing but they did it in a wrong way. The dad could have explained to his son why he wanted to take away his lucky money. But he didn’t do it.

I am with the guest above. The parents should help their kids learn how to deal with the money early. My niece is 4 years old. At the New Year’s Eve, we gave her some lucky money. She didn’t put the money in her pocket. Instead, she gave all her lucky money to her mom. I asked why she gave her lucky money to her mom. She said that her mom would save her lucky money and pay for her tuition in the kindergarten.

It is up to the parents. If they teach their children very well, their children will listen to their advice. Do not spoil your children too much. Otherwise, you will suffer too much in the future.
Feb 4, 2012 02:30
  • SQUIRREL
it is how lucky that now the children have so much lucky money as our 1-2 months salary.

when I was child, I will feel very fulfilment with the money to buy the sweety candy, funny fireworks. And save it with our family.

But now the children got so much lucky money than us before, but they didn't cherish it. and waste the money.

Feb 4, 2012 23:15
  • APAULT
It would be interesting to see the nationality of the voters. I would anticipate that mostly, the let kids have the money comes from westerners, the take it. manage it votes from Chinese :)

I'll not argue either way, I am just anticipating a cultural; difference, partly based on my knowledge of the riots that would have occurred if I had taken away presents from my kids!!! (Australia). NO, having written that, I will add my judgement (haha), the gifts were given to the kids, not the parents, so no, the parents are stealing.

Feb 6, 2012 21:58
  • JIMMYB
Well said, Paul.

I will give the money to them if they can deal with it well. But it doesn't mean that I will let them burn it like papers.
Post a Reply to: How to deal with children’s lucky money?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code