Menu
Can I travel successfully in China?
Mar 4, 2012 20:57
  • GRIZ326
Lao Po has her PRC tour guide red book. She says I won't be able to climb one of the sacred mountains and is concerned about me being able to enjoy many of the monuments.

She may be correct. I have nerve damage in both legs and feet and my right foot and hip are weak. Walking across Tiananmen Square into the Forbidden City and exiting on the other side without resting would be challenging. ...at least I think it might be.

With that as a way to measure my limitations, could I climb one of the mountains going monastery to monastery resting or sleeping until I reached the top? Could I enjoy the Terracotta Warriors in Xian? Could I climb the steps to the Potala Palace?

I certainly would rather have Chinese doctors performing acupuncture on me than the guy here doing it in the basement of a beauty salon ... So I am definitely coming to China this summer. However, even though I've been to China 5 or 6 times, I was always as strong as an ox, so I never considered how big the mountains and monuments are under my current circumstances.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Last edited by GRIZ326: Mar 4, 2012 20:58
Mar 5, 2012 11:48
GUEST13063 I think that going to China for medical treatments such like the one you mentioned, is a good idea.

To climb mountains in your condition - is a bad idea.

Remember, China is not as handicapped friendly as the USA.
Mar 5, 2012 23:38
  • DODGER
I recently took a trip with a group of work colleges to Xiamen for a week.
We took ferries to various islands. None of the ferries had wheelchair access and the islands were all hilly.
Although none of the mountains we visited had any wheelchair access a couple did have porters to carry the sick, lame and lazy, for a price.
Perhaps you need to consider hiring a Minder.
Dodger.

Apr 11, 2012 09:59
  • GRIZ326
I put my mind to remembering the drudgery of climbing Emei Shan and realized I won't be up to climbing mountains this summer; maybe next year.

I've got my walking up to 1.5 miles. If I can get to 3 miles, I might be able to do more than sit in a tea house.
Apr 11, 2012 21:18
  • JIMMYB
Griz,

I hope that you can recover very soon. You will be rewarded one day thanks to your daily practice.
Apr 12, 2012 12:48
  • DAVEC
Good luck, I can walk for miles but being a little on the plump side mountains cause me no end of trouble.
Apr 20, 2012 08:52
  • MICECHOW
I hope you will enjoy your travel next year!! best wishes~
Aug 12, 2012 00:18
GUESTJHENN I feel the same, I don't post my links and full name together to avoid poplee Googling me. I have this webcounter on my blog where I can see where poplee came from and whenever I see that someone entered my site from Facebook I get really paranoid. I don't blog about my anime/Japan interests so much now but it's still uncomfortable to know that poplee I know read such things.
Post a Reply to: Can I travel successfully in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code