Menu
1 week China trip, itinerary advice
Apr 23, 2012 10:43
guest28191 Hello everyone!

In June I will be in Beijing for about a week for a conference (work-related). I will try to explore the city during this time. Afterwards I plan to do a 8-day trip with three colleagues of mine.

Our plan is to visit Datong and then to move down country, going through Xi'an, Guilin and ending up in Hong Kong. We only have about 2 days in each location.

Datong (1,5 days) -> overnight train to Xi'An (2 days) -> flight to Guilin (2,5 days, incl. boat trip to Yangshuo and visit to Xingping) -> flight to Hong Kong (1,5 days).

This will be our first time in China. We like cultural/historical sights, but are more into nature :) None of us speaks Chinese but we will book all hostels, train & plane tickets, as well as some sightseeing tours in advance.

My question is: Is this too much to see/do in 9 days? If we need to reduce, what should we focus on?

We would immensely appreciate any recommendations, tips, comments :)

Cheers!
Alex
Apr 23, 2012 21:14
GUEST8838 GUEST28191,

Your itinerary is good. You may just pick up the most popular tourist attractions in each city since you do not have too much time.

Datong: Yungang Grottoes
Xian: Shaanxi Provincial History is a must-see. After that, you can walk to the Big Wild Goose Pagoda scenic area to enjoy the fountain show. The Islam Street near the Drum Tower is also good if you prefer to taste some local snacks. If you have time, you may ride a bike on the Xian City Wall.
Apr 24, 2012 07:52
  • SOMMER
Yikes, so much jumping around the country in limited time.

Yes, it is your first trip; will it be your last?

Better to slow down and savor the sights of one region and leave some must-sees for next trip -but that's just me...

Beijing Datong Wutaishan Pingyao Xi'an aren't far apart and some of those can be strung together nicely for your 8 days.
The drive from Datong to Wutaishan is decent countryside with a few quaint villages thru the pass. Wutai valley area isn't exactly wild but peaceful and scenic. Good connections by rail between Xi'an and Datong.

Need to keep time free for HK or just leave it as departure city? I love HK (BJ is home) and could waste some time there easily enough but if adventure is the game, how about passing thru Fujian instead of touristed-to-death Guilin. Fujian has some pointy hills in river valleys too but the outstanding feature of that province is the Hakka areas. Everyone I've taken has been impressed. Good food too.

One more thing, stupid show at Wild Goose Pagoda is for domestic tourists only.

Apr 24, 2012 22:00
"One more thing, stupid show at Wild Goose Pagoda is for domestic tourists only."

I did see some foreigners enjoyed the fountain show. Were they stupid because they watched a stupid show?
Post a Reply to: 1 week China trip, itinerary advice
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code