Menu
Real-name train ticket policy to be adjusted from May 10
May 4, 2012 04:15
  • JIMMYB
China has implemented since real-name train ticket policy across the country 2012 Spring Festival Holidays. It has benefited the passengers to some extent because there are fewer ticket scalpers. On the other hand, the policy has caused inconvenience for the passengers.

According to the relevant regulations, passengers can not report the loss of their train ticket. If they lost their train ticket, they have no choice but buy a new one.

From May 10, 2012, the situation will be changed. First, passengers can report the loss of their train tickets 20 minutes in advance before the ticket barrier is closed. Second, they have to pay to get the same train tickets with their ID card or other valid documents. Third, they have to tell the conductor what happened to them when they board the train. Forth, they have to ask the train manager to give them a “record” before getting off the train. Fifth, they have to return their tickets and then get the refund in 24 hours with their special record, ID cards or valid documents. At last, they need to pay CNY 2 as handling charge.

It is too complicated. Why can’t the railway station print out a new train ticket and give it back to the passenger after his/her identity is confirmed?

May 4, 2012 21:26
  • RAINDROP
Why do we have to pay CNY2 as handling charge?
May 8, 2012 09:16
  • APAULT
Certainly, once your name has been recorded it should be easy to refund for lost tickets, that's good. The rest of the complicated system, well that's easily explained....this is China. Sorry Jimmy and others, but if there is a choice between a simple approach and a complex one, the complex one will usually be chosen! :)
May 8, 2012 09:22
  • APAULT
Here's an interesting story about buying train tickets. There are now ticket machines at some major stations: excellent as anything that reduces ticket queueing has to be good! Ok, so I went up to one and selected 'English'...- excellent! So I followed the steps and selected a train and the seat I wanted an moved on to the confirmation. Please place your Id card against the screen..... ah, but I have a passport, not an ID....ahhh so I cannot finish. So just why was English added as an option???
May 8, 2012 20:56
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAINDROP

Why do we have to pay CNY2 as handling charge?

Raindrop,

They charge CNY 2 for printing a new ticket for you. It's expensive. As Paul said, this is China. That's why you can see some stupid rules and regulations are implemented.
May 8, 2012 20:59
  • JIMMYB
Paul,

I use that machine to get my tickets for three or four times. It worked very well. Unfortunately, it only supports Chinese people's ID cards. I didn't use English service. I guess that Chinese government might plan to improve Chinese people's English. That's why English service is offered.

If the machine doesn't support passport and other valid documents, there must be a notice on the machine.

May 8, 2012 21:04
  • JIMMYB
By the way, you needn't pay a penny to get your tickets from the machine. But you will be charged if you want to get your return tickets from the railway station.

Last time, I booked two tickets on www.12306.cn. When I got to the railway station, there was a long queue in front of the machine. Thus, I went to the window to get my tickets. The conductor told me that she just printed out one ticket. If I wanted to get my return ticket, I had to pay CNY 5. Otherwise, I had to get my ticket at the railway station when I arrived at my destination.
Post a Reply to: Real-name train ticket policy to be adjusted from May 10
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code