Menu
I want to find my family village
May 20, 2012 03:59
guestThee I want to find my family village. My family name is Cheng or Teh. It is spelled differently because of the dialects. My family spoke the dialect of Haka. I do not know where in China my ancestors are from but they went from China to Malaysia 1920's to 1940's. That is our best guess. If anyone can helps us please write. Thank you.
May 22, 2012 07:26
  • APRILALICE
The people who speak Hakka are mostly from Guangdong province, Guangxi province, Hainan province, Fujian Province, Jiangxi Province, Taiwan province, and even Sichuan province and Hunan province. Even for the specific family name Cheng or Teh, people with this family name are located in every province mentioned above. So it is quite hard to define your location by the family name.

However, as you could see from the Chinese map, i think it is of better chance that your ancestors are from Guangdong. Reasons of this are two. 1-Maylasia is much closer to Guangdong. 2-Guangdong has the largest population of people who speak Hakka. It is said to be over 15,500,000 people in 1970s. :)

If you can speak and write Chinese well, you can join some online Hakka people communities to know more Hakka friends. This would be a more ideal way to find your root.

good luck~

Post a Reply to: I want to find my family village
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code