Menu
Federer is Wimbledon 2012 Champion!
Jul 8, 2012 18:46
  • CANADAGUY
After almost 2.5 years going slam-less, Roger Federer has once again surfaced as a force to be reckoned with on the ATP tour.

This victory is very significant for him.

Roger ties Pete Sampras for the most amount of Wimbledon titles won by a player (seven) AND enables him to surge ahead of Sampras in total number of weeks (286) as the #1 player on the ATP tour.

As long as Federer can continue to go deep at slams, he will remain a threat to win even more slam titles.

Congratulations Roger Federer!
Jul 8, 2012 22:53
  • KEVIN0518
Long time no see, Canadaguy! How’s your life?

I have been busy recently. Thus, I just watched one semi-final (Federer and Djokovic) and the final (Federer and Andy).

Federer played very well at the semi-final and won the match at last. As for the final, I was a bit worried in the first and second set. Andy played very well but Federer made too many unforced errors. However, Federer finally took the chance and won the second set.

The third set was amazing. The match was delayed for nearly 40 minutes because of the unexpected rain. After the rain, Federer seemed to have evolved. He played more aggressively and forced Andy to fall on the grass several times. The sixth game in the third set lasted for 20 minutes. Federer finally broke Andy after 10 deuces. Afterwards, Federer won the third set easily.

I am not sure if Andy got hurt when he fell down on the grass. His facial expressions showed that his condition wasn’t good. Or he just was upset with his performance and then felt unhappy.

Andy did play a good match. He served more ACE and made fewer unforced errors than Federer. But Federer approached the net many times than Andy. Maybe, it is Federer’s strategy to approach the net because Andy plays good bottom-line tennis.

Anyway, congratulations to Federer and Andy. Federer returns to World No.1 after winning the champion at Wimbledon. What’s more, he tied Sampras’s records at Wimbledon, winning seven Wimbledon champions. Another record is he has entered the Wimbledon final for eight times.

It was the first time that Andy had entered the Wimbledon final. But this means a lot to GB people. Last time, English tennis player entered the Wimbledon in 1938.

Both Federer and Andy cried after the match. Federer was too happy to cry. Andy cried because he lost the chance to fulfill all GB people’s dream. On the other hand, he has entered the finals of the four grand slams four times but failed to become the champion.

It is a pity that Andy competes with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. If there were no Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, he could have won the four grand slams.
Jul 8, 2012 22:59
  • KEVIN0518
I feel a bit tired today because last night's match was too long. It was finished nearly 2:00 am.

I really hop that Andy can grow as fast as Djokovic. In last two years, Djokovic and Nadal had won 9 grand slams together. It is difficult for Andy but he should change and evolve.

This is a cartoon. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic perhaps are gods in Andy's eyes. Someday, he might conquer them.

Jul 9, 2012 19:41
  • CANADAGUY
Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVIN0518

I feel a bit tired today because last night's match was too long. It was finished nearly 2:00 am.

I really hop that Andy can grow as fast as Djokovic. .

Hi Kevin! It's good to hear from you again. I have been relaxing the past couple of weeks, enjoying some Wimbledon matches and also playing tennis in my city.

You made a very good assessment of the last two Federer matches. I didn't see much of the other Federer matches at Wimbledon because of a vow I made to myself at the end of last year.

I felt that Federer was in decline and he continued to disappoint me with his play. I would invest a lot of time and emotions cheering for him, only to have him lose in the quarter-finals or semi-finals.

So I vowed that I would only watch his matches if he made the semis or finals of the slams.
It is much less stressful for me now! :)

Speaking about being tired, many people (including celebraties
) and myself, had problems sleeping the night before the Wimbledon final match. We were nervous about the outcome.
So I was quite tired yesterday, like you.

I also hope Murray will eventually win at least one slam.
In the meantime I will continue to cheer for Roger.
It will be very interesting now to see what the future has in store for him.

I maintain that he could win another major if he can go deep at the slams.
If however he begins to lose in the early rounds, this would be a bad sign for him. A sign that would possibly indicate his upcoming retirement.

He has probably accomplished everything he set out to do in his tennis career and has broken almost all the tennis records at the same time.

I think his main motivation now would be to keep the other top three players at bay.

Jul 10, 2012 01:06
  • KEVIN0518
Well, I just watched Federer play semi-final and final at Wimbledon. I have been busy recently. And I have noticed that I shouldn’t watch Federer play tennis. In past three years, I watched his several matches and he just won only two matches. Am I his a damnation to him?

No doubt, Roger played very well at the semi-final and the final. But I kept imagining what if he met Nadal at the semi-final or final. In that case, he might lose to Nadal. We have to admit that he is getting old and not as competent as before. So he might win another grand slam unless he doesn’t fight Nadal.

As for Murray, Federer also wished that he could win at least one grand slam. I think he will win a grand slam. See, he already won four runner-ups.

PS: I noticed that Federer took out a watch and wore it before taking the champion cup. It must be Rolex, haha.
Jul 10, 2012 01:11
  • KEVIN0518
One more thing, I couldn't bear CCTV's narrator. The guy was slow and seemed to have little knowledge of tennis. Before the final, I installed a TV software and enjoyed a famous Taiwan tennis narrator's narration.

You know, narration is important for those tennis beginners or who started to watch Tennis programs. If the narrator wasn't capable, I might lose my interest to watch the programs.
Jul 12, 2012 14:14
  • CANADAGUY
Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVIN0518 View Post

But I kept imagining what if he met Nadal at the semi-final or final. In that case, he might lose to Nadal. We have to admit that he is getting old and not as competent as before. So he might win another grand slam unless he doesn’t fight Nadal.

As for Murray, Federer also wished that he could win at least one grand slam. I t...

Yes the 'Nadal factor' is always there for Roger.
He often has difficulties with Nadal and a lot of it is the 'mental factor' (what he is thinking during the match).

Federer thinks Murray will win at least one grand slam title. I tend to agree with him.

You were very astute to notice that Roger put on his watch just before taking the champion cup! I didn't see that (probably because of my internet feed). Yes, it was must have been a Rolex and a decision made by that company. :)
Jul 12, 2012 14:17
  • CANADAGUY
Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVIN0518 View Post

One more thing, I couldn't bear CCTV's narrator. The guy was slow and seemed to have little knowledge of tennis. Before the final, I installed a TV software and enjoyed a famous Taiwan tennis narrator's narration.

You know, narration is important for those tennis beginners or who started to watch Tennis programs. If the nar...

Yes, the narration is a very important factor when watching tennis matches. For the most part, I dislike the American commentators. They usually talk too much and contribute little to the match. The Australian commentators are much better. Whenever the commentators are a distraction, I turn off the sound! :)
Jul 15, 2012 01:54
  • KEVIN0518
Quote:

Originally Posted by CANADAGUY View Post

Yes the 'Nadal factor' is always there for Roger.
He often has difficulties with Nadal and a lot of it is the 'mental factor' (what he is thinking during the match).

Federer thinks Murray will win at least one grand slam title. I tend to agree with him.

You were very astu...

Canadaguy,

Nadal is Federer's nightmare. Looking back to 2009 French Open, Federer finally won his first probably last champion of the French Open. Remember that Nadal was eliminated by Söderling.This time, Nadal was out a bit early. Then Federer took the chance to win his 17th grand slam.

See? Without Nadal, Federer has greater chance to win the grand slam. But I am still waiting for the Olympic tennis games. This imight be the last chance for Federer to realize his dream, winning the champion of Men's Singles at the Olympics.

Rolex must have a deal with Federer. He must wear his Rolex watch when he receives the trophy.
Jul 15, 2012 02:01
  • KEVIN0518
Quote:

Originally Posted by CANADAGUY

Yes, the narration is a very important factor when watching tennis matches. For the most part, I dislike the American commentators. They usually talk too much and contribute little to the match. The Australian commentators are much better. Whenever the commentators are a distraction, I turn off the sound! :)

Yes. A good narrator knows clearly when to speak during the match. I usually watch the live show from a Taiwan TV program (ESPN) on the internet. His name is Xu Nairen. He narrates the tennis matches very well.

Compared with the narrator from CCTV, Xu is much more knowledgeable. I seldom heard CCTV narrator talked about the tennis terms and explain the tennis celebrities on court. Xu is different. He explains the match in a very professional way.
Post a Reply to: Federer is Wimbledon 2012 Champion!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code