Menu
China in December and January
Apr 13, 2004 10:17
  • STRAWBERRY
Hello All,

My husband and I are planning a trip to China for two weeks in late December, early January. Will the weather be miserable? We are planning on spending time in several cities in Eastern China, then heading to Tibet were we plan to spend most of our trip. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Apr 13, 2004 10:19
  • DIZZY
Don't go Tibet in December or January! It will be freezingly cold in Tibet at that time, no people want to have that kind of weather! The road to there or airlines might be closed to tourists.

But go to some cities in the south of China, like Hainan, you will have a marvelous time
Apr 13, 2004 16:55
  • YAZOO
I also wouldn't recommend to go to Tibet in winter, unless you like it very cold ;-)
In most places in China winter is fairly dry and in the south not too cold. Shanghai can become too cold (no central heating in buildings) and Beijing can become very very very cold ;-)
So : try the south of china in this period or if you like the cold : visit the Great Wall covered in snow and go to the lantern festival in Haerbin.
Apr 13, 2004 21:10
  • JONNYB
I lived in Beijing in January this year and it varied from cold to very cold. Some days (not nights) it was a high of -5C with wind chill it was -20C. Usually it was about -9C overight. Harbin has a normal high of -20C.
Apr 14, 2004 09:01
  • ANGEL
Agree with most replies above. Usually, winter is not a ideal time for travel to China. (as Yazoo said). And the month from Nov to the late Jan are low season which means you will have a chance to get lower hotel and ticket rates and avoid the crowds. Southern China is a better choice. I do not recommend you to go to the Great Wall because in Jan is the coldest month in Beijing and the wind would be very strong which will deteriorate the cold weather. i went to Beijing last Nov and climb the wall. It was windy.
Post a Reply to: China in December and January
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code