Menu
Overland Kashgar to Lhasa
Apr 24, 2005 17:31
  • SPOERLE
Has anyone experience in travelling overland fro K. to L.?
What about public transport? Hotels/Guesthouses? Privat car hire? How many days?
Travel agencies?
Please reply to gmx.de|WalterSpoerle
Thanks
Apr 24, 2005 18:27
  • XIAOTUZI
From what i hear (had a couple buddies make the journey last fall) is that if you can make it from kashgar to Ali (shiquanhe) than the hardest part of the journey (ie arranging transportation) is done. From ali to lhasa there are busses that depart daily. Was told chinese people don't have as much trouble getting on busses out there and its even possible to rent a jeep and make the trip that way too.

Now the police are another thing but i hear bribes are welcomed.

When u planing on going?

tuzi
May 22, 2005 09:13
  • KATYABURNS
Hi. I saw your posting and am planning to travel the Karakoram
Highway to Kashgar and then go on to Kailash and Lhasa. Do
you know about getting entry permits for Tibet and for Kailash
from Kashgar? Thanx.
May 22, 2005 09:15
  • KATYABURNS
PS Please reply to my question on permits for Tibet and Kailash
to: yahoo.com|vorovsky8-travel.
Thanks!
Katya
Oct 14, 2009 08:41
  • MUSAN
Hello,

Well 4 years later and another person is seeking advice for this route, any chance it has opened up ? i know the rail now goes to kashgar but info for the road is still sketcy
Oct 14, 2009 11:45
  • ELLYSE
Kashgar has had a train station for YEARS already.
Oct 15, 2009 15:57
  • YOOCO
Wow! This thread was post 4 years ago and still going on! Well, I have traveled from Lhasa to Kashgar by road on my own. I didn't take the bus all the way from Lhasa, because I went to Kailash and Pulan and all kinds of small stops. So I took a bus from Lhasa to Rikaze, then from there to Dingri. After that there was no bus! I had to hitch hike all the way to Shiquanhe!
However the wost part started from Shiquanhe. I took a proper sleeper bus from Shiquanhe straigh to Kashgar. I though It would be quite straight forward. But it turned out I traveled in this bus for 4 days 3 nights to get to Yecheng where is another few hours away from Kashgar. The road just simply too bad for any kind of vehicle to run. Any type of car I took absolutely everyone of them broke down once or twice at least. The bus I took broke down soon after we left, and couldn't be fixed. So we broke down and fix, then moved on a bit then broke down again. There was one night we stuck right on top of the mountain which is 6000 metres high!
The best car I took was a 4 by 4 Shamowang, I got it for free by hitch hiking. I thought this time finally a bit of comfort on this dam road. But at the end one of the wheel flied out while the car was running, we stopped rite at the edge of a cliff!
Right, forget about my bad luck. Normally, from Kashgar to Shiquanhe it will take two days. Then shiquanhe to Lhasa another 2 or 3 days. There is car for hire, looking around hotels and hostels. The buses don't run all the time.
For foreigners now you need special permits to enter Tibet, furthermore you need to be accompanied by a government registered tour guide and join a tourist group.
Last edited by YOOCO: Oct 15, 2009 16:00
Apr 4, 2010 05:22
  • NADEEMULHAQ
ni hao
I need some information to Travel
Kashgar->Tibet->Nepal

Please guide me about Public Transport
Apr 4, 2010 06:06
  • ELLYSE
This might be going through areas which require an Alien Travel Permit (ATP) on top of the TTB Permit.
Try asking Jamin of Tibetan Connections for his opinion: tibetanconnections.com|jamin
May 8, 2011 20:01
GUEST15731 i have done kashgar to lahssa in 3 weeks,it was a pain of ass,to ali it went well in a jeep with some chinese but after ali i went in a post bus to the holy mountain ,then some chinese police obliged a caravan indian to put me on their ride ,the next day our truck broke apart from the bad road ,then a truck pick us up,then 3 more rides put us finally in proper road,meanwhile fore more then 10 times i had to help along 50 more people to pull out our truck from the mud with ropes!!!it was a HELL of a trip,no liquids,very dry food because the altitude sickness is constantly provocanting diahrreia
a hell of a night in the top of a pass sit near a driver chinese snooring and talking,a canadien which we pick it up with broken bicycle that punch a chinese officer after this one was trying to tell him that our ride had to stop were some unpleasant moments
the pleasure of finding finally a proper road its undescritible
Apr 21, 2012 22:30
GUESTPAWOWGOLD very good, it's very useful to me, thank you very much!
Post a Reply to: Overland Kashgar to Lhasa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code