Menu
DunHuang
Apr 24, 2005 18:33
  • XIAOTUZI
Whats the deal with the outrageous entrance fees in dunhuang. Then once u've paid the entrance fee's there's always some extra catch (flash light, can't choose the caves ya wanna see, history musume is an extra 5 RMB, the camel doesn't go up the sand mountain). The whole place has an air of despiration. I feel like i'm gettin gouged at every turn.

Does anyone got anything good to say about dunhuang? The night market is pretty decent but who in hell does the lonely planet recomend a week here i'll never understand.

tuzi.
Apr 28, 2005 16:41
  • CATHERINE
That's the practice of many scenic spots in China, they have an admission for the main gate, then you should pay extra for some special sites. See the Windows of the Worl in Shenzhen, the admission is 120 yuan, then you'll pay for the wagon, the Eiffel Tower and so on respectively. You'd better get used to this while traveling in China.
May 19, 2005 14:09
  • KETCHUP
Well, take it easy, that's the way they protect the murals, the Buddha statues and the like. The people's breath will ruin them. Additional admission fees do confine large groups.
Nov 17, 2005 21:30
  • PINETREE
I thought DunHuang was nice and special. Where else on earth you can come across similar carved statutes so old and quite intact ?
Everything costs money. Maintenance of such old relics is very very expensive - even in China.
Don't read too much into those Lonely Planets & otehr similar stuff. Read them with a pinch of salt.
One week in any one place is excessive if you don't like it. If you like it, it is not too long. DunHuang is not a small place - have you looked under the sand ? Have u looked at the top of the dunes ?!!
I don't mind visiting Beijing for 1 week despite having been there several times already.
Nov 17, 2005 21:48
  • CONNY129
that really depends on your own taste .for those researchers and experts they won't get tired to work over the mural and carved statutes even a lifetime ,but for us tourists who just want to "see" it ,one or two days are enough .
Post a Reply to: DunHuang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code