Menu
travelling by bike
Apr 24, 2005 18:44
  • CATERINA
Last year my husband and I travelled by bike in Jiangsu, Fujian, Anhui, and it was great. Sometimes putting the bikes on top of local buses.
We want to travel by bike again next summer. Arrive in Beijing (from Paris, France), then go to Xian by train. We want to buy bikes in Xian - thanks to you if you can give me the adress of a shop selling Giant bikes. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to put bikes on trains ?
Apr 25, 2005 11:25
  • DEE0228
Hello, Caterina!

In Xian, many big stores and supermarkets sell bikes, but i'm not sure if they have Giant.
You may try some streets which are lined with bike shops, such as Wenyi Road(In south of the city) and Santa Road (In east of the city).

When will be in Xi'an? I'm happy to be your shopping guide in Xi'an if time available:)

Dee
Apr 25, 2005 11:32
Gaint shop is located at Xi da Jie. West Avn.Easy to find.
Apr 25, 2005 18:13
  • CATERINA
Thanks a lot ! And what about putting our bikes on trains ??? Does anybody know ???
Apr 25, 2005 20:01
I am afraid you can't take your bike on train. Just post it. Or you can rent a bike in every city you visit.
Apr 26, 2005 11:30
  • DEE0228
Hi, Caterina
you may consign your bike by rail instead of taking it along with u. When you get to the train station, ask the personnel helping you find the consignment office/window. You need bring your bike, train tickets and money. I'm not sure how much it will cost you but i heard it's not cheap.

Mar 2, 2008 08:47
GUEST05643 Hi. We are going to china for a short 1 week bike tour in the beijing area. I am interested in your experiences. Any chance you could drop me an email ibigroup.com|dkamnitzer
Thanks
Mar 4, 2008 00:10
  • JABAROOTOO
Both trains and buses will take your bicycles

Allow plenty of time on the day of travel and be sure to notify the ticket office that you want to put your bikes on the train or the bus.

Some buses may refuse to carry them but if you are prepared to pay then there should be no problem.

Tip:
Carry a photograph of a bicycle just in case you get stuck with a language problem and learn how to say it : zi xing che and have someone write the hanzi for you.

Have a great trip
Mar 4, 2008 00:12
  • JABAROOTOO
Tip: Better still carry a photo of yourselves on your bikes with the panniers etc.
This should be clear enough that you are actually cyclists and need to take you bikes with you.
Post a Reply to: travelling by bike
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code