Menu
5 (Harsh) Things China Can’t Live Without
Oct 28, 2012 02:11
  • JIMMYB
In certain situation, both Hukow book and ID are required.

Yes, for example, when you need to register for marriage at the civil affairs bureau.
Nov 9, 2012 21:53
  • NANCYMOON
I think both the Hukou and ID are necessary in China now. People from your countries have to bear Harsh Things as well, right? as nothing can be accomplished without norms or standards.
Nov 11, 2012 03:05
People shouldn't be divided according to their Hukou. We are all Chinese. Why should we be divided into different classes?
Nov 13, 2012 04:44
GUEST15851 As a loawai I find the Hukou very confusing. I know that it is very difficult to transfer from one city to another and I know that if you move to another city you lose some benefits (like free primary schooling?) Is this to dissuade people from moving? Is it also true that a hukou can only be registered if you own the property you live in?
Nov 13, 2012 21:42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST15851

As a loawai I find the Hukou very confusing. I know that it is very difficult to transfer from one city to another and I know that if you move to another city you lose some benefits (like free primary schooling?) Is this to dissuade people from moving? Is it also true that a hukou can only be registered if you own the property you live in?

Hukou (also called Huji) system is a complicated issue. Please read this article and you will get some inspirations.
http://faculty.washington.edu/kwchan/Chan-WSB-Hukou-Abolition-CQ2008.pdf

To some extent, hukou system does dissuade people from moving one place to another.

“Is it also true that a hukou can only be registered if you own the property you live in?”

As a Chinese citizen, you parents can register your Hukou after your birth. But they have to provide related documents, for example, birth certificate issued by the hospital and birth permission issued by the local family planning or birth control committee. Babies don’t have their own properties. They just register their Hukou together with their parents.

Nowadays, more and more people leave their hometown and work outside. Some even settle down in cities far away from their hometown. Thus, they need to transfer their Hukou from their hometown to the cities where they settle down. It’s doable but very difficult to do it. Some cities have many harsh requirements. You have to buy house property and offer legal 2 or 3 years work contract.

Why do they have harsh requirements? If they don’t, all people will flood into their cities. The local facilities and social resources are limited and can’t serve for too many people.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 5 (Harsh) Things China Can’t Live Without
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code