Menu
Advice on my holiday to Shanghai
Apr 27, 2005 22:07
  • REDRUM78
Hi there everyone,

I am from the UK and i will be travelling to china in the next couple of months. I will be visiting my girlfriend there and currently plan to meet in Shanghai. (She is in Wuhan at the moment working). She is chinese but has very limited experience of travel outside of hubei province and i have never been to china before. I am looking for someone who has been there a great deal and give us some advice. We may stay in Shanghai or we may travel to other nearby cities and even beijing (money permitting). Therfore my main question is where to stay in shanghai for a budget price (not hostel or dorm). We have found a good website that shows many hotels in shanghai and a reasonable price seems to be $30 per night. I would like to know where in shanghai to stay for best access to the attractions.

Also, which cities nearby would you recommend and why? Any other tips you can think of would help. I will probably be going for 2 weeks so there is scope for travelling around.

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

Thanks

David
Apr 27, 2005 23:12
  • MARTOGLIO
The peoples square area is certain very good to go to most of the tourist attractions in Shanghai, if you are talking about the Bond, the Yu Gardens, the Shanghai old street, the shanghai museum, & the TV tower. Nanjing Road, Huaihai road, Shaanxi Road are also very nice.

Nearby cities:

Hangzhou, tourist city, 2 hrs from Shanghai by train. 1 day trip.

Suzhou, 1.5 hrs by train, famous for Chinese Gardens. 1 day trip.

Huangshan, Hongcun & Xidi village, overnight train from Shanghai, 10 hrs. (this is my next destination to explore my beautiful country in the end of May). 5 days trip.

Beijing, definitely worths to visit, you won't find any other places in China with such a rich culture, so many historical sites to visit. And of course the Great Wall. Train from Shanghai to Bejing on a hard sleeper cost some 400 rmb, less than £30, 12-14 hrs overnight. 1 week in Beijing is not too much.

As a matter of fact, if your GF is in Wuhan, where do not you consider to take the Yangtze cruise from Wuhan to Chongqing, from there to Xi'an, then go to Beijing. 2 weeks would be just right. The cruise is 4- 5 days, Xi'an 2-3 days, and the rest in Bejing.

Be aware that from June on, it is going to be very hot in most of these places I mentioned. It will rain quite a bit in Shanghai in June.

Enjoy your trip.

Apr 28, 2005 00:03
  • ELCABRON
Hi Redrum,

if you want to treat your gf with an extraordinary stay in Shanghai for a reasonable price you should check the PU JIANG or ASTOR HOUSE on Huang Pu Lu No. 15 (the beginning of the Bund, close to this monument). WWW.Pujianghotel.com or www.astorhouse.com,
phone: (21)-63246388.
It is the pure rich colonial style! Supposed to be the first and oldest hotel of Shanghai. People like Einstein, Charlie Chaplin, Bertrand Russell and US President Grant stayed here. I stayed in a 45 qm doubleroom with beautiful old wood floor, high ceiling with old stucco works and so on for 380 Yuan (with 34 Euros a little bit above your suggested limit, but certainly worth the quality).

Apr 28, 2005 02:29
  • MARTOGLIO
Elcabron,

I just took a look of the hotel. it looks great, but a lot more expensive than 380 yuan. Where did you book @ that price?

Vielen Dank,

Sharon
Apr 28, 2005 03:07
  • ELCABRON
Hi Sharon,

I booked it on their homepage for the time from December 29th till January the 3rd 2005. Standard Twin Room A. Did they change anything? I thought it was more expensive because of New Year....
Apr 28, 2005 03:20
  • ELCABRON
Just checked the page again. They charge the room now with 45 USD or 35 Euros or 23 Pounds. I booked it in advance and paid 382 Kuai.
(totally against my backpacker soul of course.....but a gf makes travelling sooo expensive:)
But this Hotel is worth every Jiaoje!!!
Maybe you get it cheaper at the desk without booking or during off-season???
Apr 28, 2005 04:15
  • ELCABRON
Oh, you have to look at the online booking part of their page:
http://www.key-res.com/reserve.php?hid=SHA3830
For May parts are booked out but for June they charge 45USD for a standard twin room. If you have bad luck the room can be smaller like they say 32 square meters, they are not all the same. So maybe booking in advance is better.
Apr 28, 2005 07:14
  • REDRUM78
Hello again everyone,

Thank you all for your very insightful answers, it has made my planning much more coherent:)
I do have a couple more questions though. I'm afraid we won't be going for anything too extravegant on the hotel front, money is a big factor. One hotel we like the look of is in the the Hong Kou / Yang Pu district about 5 kilometres from the city centre and the train station (its on the gaoyang road if that helps). Is this location ok and is the travel to the places of interest easy enough through train and bus?

My second question is about travelling to Beijing. The train is probably not suited for us, does anyone know how much the plane is? And how many days would you stay in beijing?

Thanks again everyone,

David
Apr 28, 2005 09:25
  • DEE0228
The air ticket costs RMB1130 yuan p.p from Shanghai to Beijing , but early booking can help you get good discount.

There are a lot of things to be expected in Beijing, so you need at least 3-4 days for staying there. For the detailed info about Beijing, visit this page:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/beijing/attractions.htm
Apr 28, 2005 14:48
  • MARTOGLIO
David,

Not sure where Gaoyan Lu is. But if the hotel between Hongkou/Yangpu. It is a little bit far from the tourist attractions. Nevertheless, Bus connection is very good everywhere in Shanghai. I do not think there is a light rail or a subway line goes thru either Yangpu & Hongkou. The light rail & subway are certainly better public tranportation means. Taxi is rather cheap too in Shanghai.

If you are looking of budget hotels, this might be helpful: www.jj-inn.com, it is a budget hotel chain in China. They are in most major cities. The facilities are close to a 2 star hotel. They have 20 hotels in Shanghai. The one in Fujian Nan Lu in Shanghai sounds like a good choice for you. It is walking distance to the Bund, the Yu gardens, and the peoples square.

Apr 28, 2005 23:17
  • DATA1000
Hello David,

For your price range, you'll need to balance quality with location. The hotels near the center of the city (Nanjing Dong LU, Renmin (peoples) Square, or Huaihai LU) are going to be more expensive, but you'll gain time and convenience.

Shanghai hotels are more expensive than other cities. Therefore, I would recommend that you only spend three or four nights in Shanghai and choose a hotel with a good location. It will be a lot easier to get cheaper hotels in other cities.

I have flown to Beijing from Shanghai several times and you can usually get a discount ticket from a travel agent for 600-700 yuan (one-way). In China, it is common to buy a plane ticket only a couple of days before the flight.

Data
Post a Reply to: Advice on my holiday to Shanghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code